Anybody tried adding enzymes to their brew to reduce gluten?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazerous8506

Reaction score
I am looking into this at the moment. On my travels through California last year I was talking to a brew-pub owner who had a gluten free (or gluten reduced beer I should say) who brewed his beer then added an enzyme that basically broke down the gluten proteins in barley. My wife, who is gluten intolerant, had no problems with it. I never asked what enzyme the guy who made it used.

Has any one tried this or know of any one who has? In my research flavoenzyme and some proteases. Some of which I am not sure if humans can consume at certain quantities.

Thanks

It's Brewer's Clarex you're looking for. It's essentially an auxillary fining with the side effect of breaking down gluten. Never seen it for sale in the UK.

It says "gluten-reduced", which may not be enough for some coeliacs, but I shall certainly be googling it thoroughly tomorrow!

Well, done some googling, talked to the coeliac in the family, now...
Could I use half a vial and fridge the rest for, say, a month?
And are there any decent kits which can be easily split into half (and brewed short in 2 demis...) ? She likes mild but will drink most ale.
I do have a 5g bin, but it's the bottling... Oh I should just go for it, I have bottles and a bottling wand.

Latest posts

Back