Anybody tried Fermenting wine under pressure?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The subject of pressure fermentation is very,very interesting
I suspect that small spaces brewing apeared under a different moniker a few years ago.
We should all live and learn and enjoy the freely shared information.
Yes I was soyyojuli on here, but after I got up my YouTube chanel, and my Instagram I had to get a common name.

Anyway. Small update on the wine. I'm making one now, and I've had some troubles. First it lagged for days, even with the heat, and then it wouldn't clear. I suspect the yeast was a bit old and didn't take off due to the pressure I was forcing on it. Second, degassing is really important if you want clear wine. Even after adding clearing agents it didn't clear. So after I shock the be jesus out of it and added more finning it's finally clearing. Don't know why I had this experience this time. I've made this wine 5 times now without a problem. Well, lessons learned.
Cheers

I let the pressure build up naturally but my temp control wasn't really sorted until about midway though when I bought an Inkbird so it fluctuated between 22 and 28. After 8 days it finally hit .995 and I moved it out to a bucket to clear with the finings that came with the kit.

Not really any different than chucking it in a bucket from the start in terms of time but no off flavours as far as I can tell so far.

I suspect if I had better temp control from the start it could have fermented out quicker. I am tempted to try a kveik yeast next time and go even hotter.

I'll report back when the finings have done they're job. But at least I can finally get my hazy IPA on now :)
It's all about the heat really. I also prefer the pressure ferment cause of the fact that nothing comes in contact with the wine during fermentation, you can also serve from the barrel.

I let the pressure build up naturally but my temp control wasn't really sorted until about midway though when I bought an Inkbird so it fluctuated between 22 and 28. After 8 days it finally hit .995 and I moved it out to a bucket to clear with the finings that came with the kit.

Not really any different than chucking it in a bucket from the start in terms of time but no off flavours as far as I can tell so far.

I suspect if I had better temp control from the start it could have fermented out quicker. I am tempted to try a kveik yeast next time and go even hotter.

I'll report back when the finings have done they're job. But at least I can finally get my hazy IPA on now :)
I've also tried kveik in a cider. Didn't like it much so I would be interested in hearing about your results.

Hey again guys 😊 my latest wine fermented under pressure is now finished and bottles. I'm actually really pleased with the results. It finished with an FG of 0995. I didn't sweeten it, I like my whites dry. I did have some lag time for it to start fermenting and then it took more time to clear, but it turned out really great.
IMG_20211022_210226.jpg
IMG_20211022_210633.jpg

Rock on small spaces.
Allways good to here from you athumb..
Thanks man😊

So the last wine lasted mere days, friends and family couldn't get enough. This time I used a little more nutrients and made it a bit lighter. It's been 3 days. Its fallen 80 points. Down to 1030. Smells awesome. Fermenting at 20 psi at 28degrees 😊

Vid is from the last one

Attachments

• VID_525950228_025049_977.mp4
    13.3 MB
So, I've gone and started a Sauv Blanc in my newly purchased Fermenter King Gen 3 with a view to using this for wine making mostly. OK, this was a late night purchase after a few beers... Having seen a few posts over time saying that it's more efficient in that there's less loss of wine compared to buckets.

Only after staring at the yeast willing it to start for a couple of days did I actually do a real search on what the hell I'm doing! So after finding this a few other posts, am I right in saying that I need to up the fermentation temperature if there's "any" pressure. I'm using the supplied 35 (red) PSI PRV.

After a few days I can see the yeast has started and there's pressure in the vessel, so things are happening but slowly.

I made mead years ago. I fermented 6 bottles under pressure and it was delicious. I just accepted that I'd get a layer of sediment in the bottom.

I tried a cheap hack to try to replicate the method champenoise using a tub of brine in the freezer, but it wasn't cold enough to freeze the yeast plug.

I also tried putting flat mead through a soda stream. That was messy

Latest posts

Back