Anybody used SafAle F-2?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeBusby

Reaction score
I am looking to use SafAle F-2 yeast for secondary fermentation in bottles for a Leffe clone. Do you use the whole pack for a 23L brew? It just seems a lot to me.

I am looking to use SafAle F-2 yeast for secondary fermentation in bottles for a Leffe clone. Do you use the whole pack for a 23L brew? It just seems a lot to me.
No personal experience but see the datasheet:
1614343750131.png

It says 2 to 7 g per hectolitre, i.e. up to 7grams per 100L of beer. So for 23L it comes as 1.6 grams max.

p.s. I'm curious to know how clear it finishes after the carbonation.
I’ll let you know. I imagine you saw this in the tech details:

Sticks well at the bottom of the bottles/casks and forms a nice haze when it is resuspended

I will let you know in a few weeks.

I've got a pack which I haven't used yet. I understand you use a tiny bit, which would mean resealing the packet many times. I found it mentioned in a French homebrew book, where they use it quite frequently. If you can't find it elsewhere, I'll look up how much they recommend.

I looked it up after I had a batch that took well over 2 weeks to carbonate. I should mention that batch was cleared with gelatine and kept in the fridge for a long time in order to clear.

According to Fermentis, it's 2-7 grams per hectolitre. So that would be between half a gram and 2 grams per 23-25 litre batch. They come into 20g packs so that's at least 10 batches from a pack. Note: It must be properly rehydrated in water rather than chucked in the beer. i think the only reason I haven't tried it, is that it's more suited to batch priming, which I never do.

I'm curious to know why you need it. I have never had to add yeast for bottle priming.
I opened bottles of 11% beer that was almost completely flat and sprinkled a tiny pinch of champagne yeast in each bottle before resealing. They're carbed up now. There was plenty of simple sugar to bottle condition, the primary yeast had just completely pooped out. I guess I used about 1/4 10g packed for about 30 bottles.

Ive been using lallemand cbc1 for bottle conditioning, i started using it to carbonate my elderflower champagne which, after clearing for 6 months had v little yeast in it. i batch prime my very dry wine using 0.1g cbc1 per litre with 17g brewing sugar per litre in corona bottles which serve 2 , is has neutral taste and settles out very well. I aslo use same to yeast to prime my beer brews which i tend to keep a couple of months before bottling, carbonate beer at 0,1 g cbc1 and 8 to 10g sugar or 10 to 12 g spray malt per litre ( i like my beer fizzy)

I use F2 regularly....probably a gram at the most in a 20L brew. It packs down well and beers are consistently bright and have no problems achieving exceptional clarity where the style demands. Although it packs down well I wouldn't say it packs tightly and hard....you still need to exercise some care when pouring a beer.

with regards to having to reseal a packet....I pour the pack contents into an old WhiteLabs yeast vial (cleaned and sanitised obviously) ...its simply a case of unscrewing lid, depositing a small amount of yeast ( I dont measure....just judge by eye!!) in the bottling bucket and putting the lid back on....takes a matter of seconds.

Back