Anyone did a Dead Pony Club clone?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blinky

Regular.
Reaction score
Im looking at the DIY Dog recipe now and it all looks ok, just wondering if I should up the dry hop as I always suspect I wont get the same levels of hop extraction as they do..... Also the blurb mentions Caramel notes layered on biscuit malt, but there aint no biscuit malt in the recipe!

https://brewdogrecipes.com/recipes/dead-pony-club

Hi, I did one and bottled that batch, started drinking it after only 2 weeks, it was the last brew I did. I’ve stuck to the recipe including the yeast. Still got half the batch but it’s going down a treat. I can’t really pick up the malt taste as it’s massively dominated by fruit flavours and the aroma is amazing! All I do is add some acid to the water to adjust. I don’t add anything else as I was making things worse, but maybe if I got it right it would balance out a bit.

If anything I’d say my bitterness is higher than a canned version from them. It’s not unpleasant, but I notice it. The aroma and taste from the hops however is far more intense than the original. Which works for me! I dry hopped after 4-5 days and left it for 3 days before bottling. It only came out at 1.036 though but still fermented down to 1.010. The mash temp was 62C like there’s (4-5 degrees lower than normal) Give it a go, I’m sure you’ll like it.

Im looking at the DIY Dog recipe now and it all looks ok, just wondering if I should up the dry hop as I always suspect I wont get the same levels of hop extraction as they do..... Also the blurb mentions Caramel notes layered on biscuit malt, but there aint no biscuit malt in the recipe!
Don't mix up descriptions with the names of actual ingredients. "No biscuit malt"? There's no "Caramel" either. Brewdog are notorious with their descriptions, and so they should be, they are trying to make a (vast) profit so it is a good idea resorting to fanciful prose to tempt the drinkers to part with their money. Maris Otter malt is often described as having "biscuit-like" flavours (digestive biscuit?).

But in most Brewdog beers malt flavours are completely eclipsed by hop flavour and bitterness anyway. Dead Pony Club was my first DIYDog recipe using Brewdog-scale dry-hopping. I wouldn't be tempted to add more dry hops, just concentrate on getting the best out of what they suggest; and make sure the hops are well submerged (weights, bags, whatever). I notice from comments during my first attempt all the (leaf) hops floated dry (really "dry" hopping) on the surface of the beer and kegging had to be postponed for a couple of days after I had patted them down under the surface (I suggest you stick with pellets, which do sink - if you can get any recent season pellets).

My notes describe lots of citrus flavour (especially grapefruit). Pleasant enough, but I was a little underwhelmed. The notes include a comparison with the "real thing" - and concludes they were utterly different!

Current beer of that style is "5am Saint" from DIYDog, which I personally think is a better recipe (as you seem to struggle with the Brewdog "fanciful" descriptions, try reading the description for "5am Saint"!).

Latest posts

Back