Anyone else cutting it fine for Xmas brews?

Discussion in 'General Beer Brewing Discussion' started by fury_tea, Dec 5, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Dec 8, 2019 #21

dad_of_jon

dad_of_jon

dad_of_jon

Beer designer

So far I've been lucky, all my mistakes have made something equally tasty to what was intended. athumb..

Drunkula likes this.
  2. Dec 8, 2019 #22

samale

samale

samale

Landlord.

I still have one in the fermentor. Dry hopped yesterday hopefully bottle near the end of the week

3. Dec 8, 2019 #23

Harbey

Harbey

Harbey

Regular.

Just bottled my end of year, use up all the hops in the freezer, pale ale. Tastes great. And the orange wheat beer has now taken its place in the FV. Got it at 24C which is the warmest I've fermented at I think. Hopefully, it will be ready for bottling within 10 days.

4. Dec 8, 2019 #24

Drunkula

Drunkula

Drunkula

Landlord.

Mine went from 1.040 to 1.008 in 36 hours at 24c with CML kristalweizen. I brewed bigger than my pots and got cack efficiency so just had to bump it up with a bit of sugar. The last kristal weizen I did I had on for 6 days, drank after 6 days bottled and it was awesome. It was just as good at that age as 6 weeks. You should be bang tidy.

5. Dec 8, 2019 #25

Harbey

Harbey

Harbey

Regular.

Yep, it's been in for almost 5 hours now and is already bubbling away. I'm using Cross My Loof, Kristallweizen yeast. Not used it before but I'm using CML for pretty much everything these days and find their stuff really good (apologies for plug but they are good). Looks like this is getting bottled next weekend.

I'll have had my Grain father for a year at Christmas so I'm going to emulate my first ever brew on it on Boxing Day (a year to the day from GF brew #1). It's a Two Hearted IPA clone which was fantastic first time i did it. Should be just right for the beginning of spring.

Brewista likes this.
  6. Dec 8, 2019 #26

DavieC

DavieC

DavieC

Regular.

Sounds like you are having it a bit rough, get well soon,

7. Dec 9, 2019 #27

dwhite60

dwhite60

dwhite60

I've got beer in bottles. On Christmas day it'll be Christmas beer.

All the Best,
    D. White

8. Dec 9, 2019 #28

Graz

Graz

Graz

Landlord.

Probably haven't got as much stuff brewed up as usual. It all got a bit behind in the latter part of this year due to getting disheartened by cr*ppy pressure barrels and flat beer. Now I'm a convert to cornies I'll get things back up to speed, just need more kegs (please Santa!).

Got one keg of Mocha Porter ready for carbonation and I'm drinking a keg of Nelson's Revenge, might still be a pint or so of that left at Xmas. I need to work out the timings but I'll be getting another kit on soon to fill the soon to be empty keg so should at least have a constant supply. Pretty sure I've still got some bottles of Abdji from last year around somewhere to, should be reaching a good level of maturity by now.

I've also as I've got older come to terms with the fact that Christmas isn't really much different to any other day of the year and just having decent beer available year round is the best thing to do!

terrym and Rodcx500z like this.
  9. Dec 9, 2019 #29

MonkeyMick

MonkeyMick

MonkeyMick

Just about to start a generic stout kit)(Grumpy old bugger) , tarted up with coffee and cacao nibs.

I'll be drinking it Christmas, come hell or high water. On the plus side, a constant temperature in the brew fridge should help!

10. Dec 9, 2019 #30

nige

nige

nige

Regular.

I don't do grain brews is there a kit that could be OK for festives?

11. Dec 9, 2019 #31

Duxuk

Duxuk

Duxuk

Landlord.

I have a Citra pale which has been in the bottles for 14 days and a OG 1.056 brew which has been in the FV for 13 days. I'll bottle it tomorrow and it my be ready for a cheeky taste on the big day:thumba:

12. Dec 9, 2019 #32

Rodcx500z

Rodcx500z

Rodcx500z

Landlord.

Got a wilko stout in one pb nearly ready, I have wilko triple hopped ipa almost ready for pb, and a Geordie bitter which may be ready for barrel at weekend

13. Dec 9, 2019 #33

Nicks90

Nicks90

Nicks90

Landlord.

My all grain stout is 2 days in the fv, but I'm determined it'll be ready for new year.
    Maybe I'll sing to it in an attempt to beat the thing in to submission

Rodcx500z likes this.
  14. Dec 10, 2019 #34

Aaron Rennie

Aaron Rennie

Aaron Rennie

I did my Christmas stout back in Aug, wasn't that impressed with it at the time so chucked it in the garage and forgot about it. The wife asked if I was taking it to the in-laws, so tried one. OH MY GOD!!!! it has aged well.

So I have that in the bottle / mini Kegs, a Black IPA on tap and about to do a dead pony club clone for New Year. Fingers crossed it makes it!!

15. Dec 10, 2019 #35

Aaron Rennie

Aaron Rennie

Aaron Rennie

I've had them over the year, all very good beers.

Rodcx500z likes this.
  16. Dec 10, 2019 #36

fury_tea

fury_tea

fury_tea

Regular.

Wondering if anyone has anything using Kveik planned, it's surely not too late for one.

I'm dry hopping my wilco IPA with Amarillo, cascade and Simcoe when I get home. Then keg it in a few days if everything is in order.

Rodcx500z likes this.
  17. Dec 10, 2019 #37

An Ankoù

An Ankoù

An Ankoù

Landlord.

Same trouble with my Symonds Bitter made with kweik to hurry things up. Still going 3 weeks later. Had a steady hydrometer reading just before the weekend so chucked in dry hops and moved it somewhere cooler and the airlock's started bubbling again, albeit very, very slowly. Getting bottled tomorrow with reduced priming sugar and hoping it'll condition in time.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  18. Dec 10, 2019 #38

An Ankoù

An Ankoù

An Ankoù

Landlord.

See below post #37.
    Mine was Opshaug kveik. Zephyr259 warned me he found it slow to ferment, and he's right. Haven't had any attenuation problems, though.

fury_tea likes this.
  19. Dec 10, 2019 #39

Rodcx500z

Rodcx500z

Rodcx500z

Landlord.

I used the amerillo and citra in my ipa, its at 1010 at mo should be good for pb at weekend, enjoy acheers.

20. Dec 10, 2019 #40

fury_tea

fury_tea

fury_tea

Regular.

Mine was 1.010 also. It's quite cloudy but I'm going to cold crash and fine with geletin in a couple of days.
    I didn't actually have Simcoe so used up a load of stuff I had in the freezer. Amarillo, cascade, motueka and Chinook and a bit of sladek. 160g all together. Should be ok.

Draft saved Draft deleted