Anyone else cutting it fine for Xmas brews?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started mine at beginning of November, stuck fermentation! I've done the usual rouse yeast, raise temp, repitch yeast. It's dropped a couple of points but stopped again. It's been 6 weeks in fv and still tastes too sweet at 1016. I'm adding a 100g sugar solution tonight, fingers crossed. It won't be ready for crimbo tho. Maybe 6 nations. I

I made a coopers euro larger with a good few pimps but as it finished fermenting I tasted it and decided it was just a normal lager so chucked a medium Dme and sugar into a pan and made a candy syrup and when over the top with a high alcohol belgian yeast which will put it to 10.5%.yes it's still fermenting. I'm my own worst enemy!!

Started mine at beginning of November, stuck fermentation! I've done the usual rouse yeast, raise temp, repitch yeast. It's dropped a couple of points but stopped again. It's been 6 weeks in fv and still tastes too sweet at 1016. I'm adding a 100g sugar solution tonight, fingers crossed. It won't be ready for crimbo tho. Maybe 6 nations. I
. I'd just repitch if it's sweet, a bit warmer.make a yeast starter with a high abv ale yeast.

Thing is, 1.016 is not too high. You could have a lot of unfermentables, or if your OG was high the yeast has attenuated as much as it can. I have bottled a very small number at higher than 1.016 because it had finished (stuck) and there was no way they were going lower. In your case the 100g sugar might get it going, but if it doesnt, its really package it, maybe light on the priming sugar and use few PET bottles to monitor carbing then see how it conditions out, or down the sink ashock1 if you don't like it.

The 100g sugar solution has kicked it off. Nice layer of foam (It's a glass fv, so I can see) And plenty of airlock action.

well my story ! I’m in Spanish Hospital and been here 2x weeks after an accident. Was planning a Pilsner and a NeIpa. All grains at home
Problem I’ve not been out of bed for the 2x weeks and have all paws in casts
Looks like I won’t be brewing for a while luckily I have a stockpile of a sherry aged red ale
Well, made back to uk mid last week, hoping for some decisions tomorrow, I’m just hoping I get home to drink some if that sherry red ale soon and before Xmas

LdsfuAn.jpg

Just over 2 weeks start to finish. It isn't too bad actually and I have a few more days for it to clear a little more and condition a bit more.

Just tried my red ale with eldorado hops last night which has just been conditioning and is crystal clear with a fruity aroma and will be even better next week.
Have a pale ale with Simcoe and mosaic just about to get cold crashed in bottles as its been in there a week at 20° conditioning in bottles plus I have a full keg of a Rakau pale ale which I'm looking forward to....

mine has made it down to 1013 (8 weeks in fv). bottled yesterday.
the sample tasted a bit sweet. we shall see in a couple more months...

Three days after this thread started I made 22 litres of a dark stouty portery oaty** thing which also had some cocoa. Three days ago after a 2 day cold crash I force carbed it and had a pint about 10 minutes later. With an extra ten minutes in the glass it's really coming into its own. Being closer to room temperature brought all the chocolate back to life that was there when I had a cheeky nip while kegging but got buried by the cold.

I'm going to try and get it to its third week in the keg because the last time I did a beer like this on the final pint 13 days in it was lovely.

** minch pale, porridge, chocolate malt, pale chocolate, chocolate wheat, roasted barley, caraamber, special B, target, fuggles, admiral, ekg and some hops picked by the river. I was just making it up as I went along. It doesn't taste remotely muddy or confused. 11.2% dark grains in total.

Last edited:
Back