Anyone else excited about the recent muon results?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recognise I’m a bit of a nerd but I know there are others and you know who you are - some of you for example are always excited by the latest Dragon launch!

For anyone not having heard about it, there is a sub-atomic particle called a muon that physicists have been throwing about and that have been displaying some unexpected behaviour. The effects of all known influences have been independently taken into account by 170 scientists, all reaching the same conclusion that a new undiscovered sub-atomic particle may be the cause. What! If this is right it might help to explain stuff we still can’t figure out about the universe and everything in it. 🤯

I saw one news report about it yesterday and it went over my head, or at least the science did, not the significance. One of the physicists said it was “mind boggling”, if their minds are boggled, what chance do I have!!

The whole of physics is mind boggling. Take the muon as an example. In the experiment scientists created their own muons but muons exist naturally, they shower down on us from high in the atmosphere where they are created when cosmic rays strike atoms. Here’s where it gets wierd... Muons only have a life of around 2us so there’s no possible way they could reach earth from 100Km up - except that because of their speed they experience time dilation. Time slows down for them. :oops:

Quantum physics is designed to not be understood. Just like 'If you remember the '60's, you weren't there', 'If you think you understand quantum physics, you've not got it at all'.

Some of the concepts such as Spacetime feel like they were originally dreamt up as simplifications to explain to the layman what was happening, then become enshrined in physics lore. I just found that it confused matters. Similarly with wave particle duality and just wtf is string theory all about?

If I understood what little I read of this story, there is a possibility that a particle was created and observed, which causes / controls a fifth fundamental force in nature, a force that has neither been detected or known what it does.

Quantum physics is designed to not be understood. Just like 'If you remember the '60's, you weren't there', 'If you think you understand quantum physics, you've not got it at all'.

Some of the concepts such as Spacetime feel like they were originally dreamt up as simplifications to explain to the layman what was happening, then become enshrined in physics lore. I just found that it confused matters. Similarly with wave particle duality and just wtf is string theory all about?

If I understood what little I read of this story, there is a possibility that a particle was created and observed, which causes / controls a fifth fundamental force in nature, a force that has neither been detected or known what it does.

I didn’t even mention quantum physics because it sounds like something you’d hear from a bloke in a pub starting his story with the word “Apparently...”.

Grown men and women seriously explaining how quantum particles just flip into and out of existence, and describing quantum entanglement as if it isn’t some kind of magic.

My problem is that I want to understand and the more I do, the more questions I have so in reality the more I learn the less I know? 🤷‍♂️

Latest posts

Back