Anyone else fed up with NEIPA?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you not like about an imperial stout. I am with you on the peanut butter marshmallow blueberry pancake one's but a good imperial is a thing of beauty

Sorry, meant to refer to super boozy dessert beers, not all imperial stouts touched a nerve here... :laugh8:

I think as others have said, the problem is that it's hard to get a good NEIPA. It's a style that I quite like, but so many of the examples on the supermarket shelf are very mediocre. Personally though I prefer it as a trend to the countless session IPAs everywhere, they can pi$$ right off.

For me it's a style that I appreciate the effort and techniques required to produce a good one. Personally I can only drink one maybe two at a push. I find them very filling and sometimes too sweet.
Also there seems to be a cross over of styles with a hazy IPA. I prefer to drink a hazy IPA as it's lighter and more enjoyable. This again is down to personally choice.
A style I am not a big fan of is a sour. I just don't get them. Low alcohol fruit drink.

I think as others have said, the problem is that it's hard to get a good NEIPA. It's a style that I quite like, but so many of the examples on the supermarket shelf are very mediocre. Personally though I prefer it as a trend to the countless session IPAs everywhere, they can pi$$ right off.
The difference is a lot of the mediocre session IPAs are in the £1.25-£1.50 a bottle range at this price mediocre beer is not great but acceptable (a bit like Banks Bitter), but a mediocre, beer at £5+ a can is just unacceptable.

I agree. I am sick to death of seeing session IPA's on the shelves. All they are are unbalanced beers. I bought 2 last week after swearing that I would never buy any again. Both were by Sierra Nevada. I figured if anyone could get it right, it would be them. I was wrong. They were ****. One would have been a passable pale ale (Hazy Little Thing) but the other one (California IPA) was dreadful. Never again will I waste my money!

The difference is a lot of the mediocre session IPAs are in the £1.25-£1.50 a bottle range at this price mediocre beer is not great but acceptable (a bit like Banks Bitter), but a mediocre, beer at £5+ a can is just unacceptable.

**** beer should never be acceptable. And yet it floods the supermarket shelves.

**** beer should never be acceptable. And yet it floods the supermarket shelves.
Their are a fair few beers that I would describe as perfectly drinkable but nothing exceptional, i.e. Punk IPA or London Pride.

Hmmm...what IS classed as a "session"?
Can I drink three pints and not regret it the next day, but generally I would say 3.8-4.5% or so.

I used to drink a LOT of Deuchars when I was a lad, and I think I've completely skunnered myself on any form of IPA, be it trad British, New England, West Coast etc...

I much prefer pale ales, stouts and German style lagers these days, and I don't have to go throwing 250g hops into a 5 gallon batch to make them :D

To each their own tho, I'm not going to sh1t on anyone that likes them, they're just not my bag, baby.

I blame neipa's for changing my hopping preferences. Any late boil additions now taste weird and mediocre.

I really enjoy NEIPAs but had a good portion of last year where I was sick of them. Very much fell back in love with malty beer styles during this time.

The market saturation is pretty crazy. Tesco alone has about 20 different Hazy IPAs on their shelf at the this time. There are some great examples out there, but you can't help but feel that creativity and variety is being stifled.
I actually feel bad for the breweries in a way. In order to be successful in the "craft" space, they've got to have a few Hazy IPAs in their roster, and change them regularly to keep up interest and "hype", and ultimately shelf space. It's no wonder that there are as many misses as hits out there. It wasn't that long ago that breweries has their flagship/core beers that they'd really worked out. Now they are expected to crank out new stuff every other week.

For me it demonstrates a wider problem with how some people treat the likes of Untappd. Rather than it being used as a personal beer journal, it's become a bit of a pissing contest where the "juiciest" or highest ABV beers have disproportionately positive ratings. It's all skewed towards hype and obtaining the "next beer".

Must be an utter nightmare for breweries that want to have a unique identity and style.

I only recently "discovered" neipa and was blown away by the likes of Brewdog OG Hazy. They do tend to be very similar - hardly surprising when mostly the use the same hop blends. I haven't had a bad one as such, a few I wouldn't waste money on again perhaps.

In my brew fridge now I have 20 litres or so of Dark Rock Hazy Daze which smells divine. The sample in my hydrometer jar has dropped the yeast and is looking good. It will find a home in a CO2-purged PB as I don't like overly gassy beers. If I don't get sick of it halfway though I guess I'll end up making another one.

Back