Anyone else fed up with NEIPA?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not yet, more fed up with the increasing number of average ones popping up in the supermarkets. popples was my first and most amazing and I had once from a famous craft brewery - verdant parhaps? - that was damn good.

Speaking about lager/ipa crossovers. William Bros do Caesar Augustus lager/ipa hybrid which is pretty good imo. They have got the Ingredients up on line and wouldn't mind giving it a bash to try make.
Neipa tho I have purposely avoided, I like beer to taste like beer and not a sticky toffee pudding. If I want a pudding I'll eat one.

Am I missing something here? There have been numerous responses to this thread with people saying they dislike or avoid NEIPAs because they like their beer to taste like beer? Every single NEIPA I’ve had has tasted like beer.

You shouldn’t confuse fruitiness from hops for “not tasting like beer”. I don’t have a problem with people not liking NEIPA because it’s too hoppy, the mouthfeel is too much or it’s not balanced enough or something but I’m confused as to how they don’t taste of beer.

Last edited:
Mick you are probably right about that. Only way to find out is try o e I guess. Lidl has got a Scottish craft beer week on. I'll pop down and give one a go 🍻

Mick you are probably right about that. Only way to find out is try o e I guess. Lidl has got a Scottish craft beer week on. I'll pop down and give one a go 🍻
A lot of the supermarket ones are quite disappointing. The Brewdog/Cloudwater collaboration is probably my favourite of the supermarket ones.

I’m confused as to how they don’t taste of beer.
It's one of those silly things that people say to make out that they only drink "real beer" made from Maris Otter and fuggles only, and anything else is no different from this:
QRCxyZe.jpg

It's one of those silly things that people say to make out that they only drink "real beer" made from Maris Otter and fuggles only, and anything else is no different from this:
QRCxyZe.jpg
So Neipas do taste of beer and not a strawberry Sunday surprise?

Am I missing something here? There have been numerous responses to this thread with people saying they dislike or avoid NEIPAs because they like their beer to taste like beer? Every single NEIPA I’ve had has tasted like beer.

You shouldn’t confuse fruitiness from hops for “not tasting like beer”. I don’t have a problem with people not liking NEIPA because it’s too hoppy, the mouthfeel is too much or it’s not balanced enough or something but I’m confused as to how they don’t taste of beer.
NEIPA’s I find can be highly enjoyable and can serve as a nice contrast to West Coast IPA’s and similar in having a lot of hop flavour with out being excessively bitter. But yes I agree they still taste like beer (my sister not a fan of beers first comment on trying one was it’s now awful but still too beery for her).

My biggest issue with them is the same issue I hae had in the past with IPAs and any other beer that becomes the latest trend, I.e. the large number of awful beers sold at premium prices. If I buy a typical IPA it’s maybe £2, maybe £3 at most, I’ve rarely seen NEIPA below £5 and am increasingly unwilling to try NEIPAS from new breweries tending to stick to the same ones (Verdent, Cloudwater, LHG) who while relatively expensive I know I will get something decent from.

:hat:Anyone want to share a NEIPA recipe that us home/brewers honestly believe should be the style here?

My biggest issue with them is the same issue I hae had in the past with IPAs and any other beer that becomes the latest trend, I.e. the large number of awful beers sold at premium prices. If I buy a typical IPA it’s maybe £2, maybe £3 at most, I’ve rarely seen NEIPA below £5 and am increasingly unwilling to try NEIPAS from new breweries tending to stick to the same ones (Verdent, Cloudwater, LHG) who while relatively expensive I know I will get something decent from.

You've made my point better than I could :laugh8: - the market has become so saturated with the style that there are too many poor or mediocre beers on the shelves. As you say, it's a bit of an issue when it's £5 plus for a can, and you never know what you're going to get. I even had a bad one from LHG recently - oxidised and massive hop burn.

Back