Anyone else have issues with lactose?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avocado Fruit

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Not really looking for a solution here, just general thoughts. I have brewed a few sweet stouts now using lactose and I never really get on with it. The brews have generally contained around 5-10% oats so this this could easily be the culprit - or the combination of the two.

I always seem to have issues with carbonation and head retention when using lactose. I will either get a huge head, which dissipates quickly with little carbonation. OR average carbonation with no head at all. Whenever I do get good carbonation, its often a gusher! I don't think I have ever brewed a milk stout that has had good carbonation with a stable head.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of thing? Thinking this may be a blog discussion!

Happy brewing.

No, I've not had problems with lactose. Perhaps you're having a run of bad luck that just happens to coincide with using it.

Not had an issue with either. How are you priming the bottles (assuming you use bottles)

I do bottle prime and my method stays consistent:

Weigh out sugar using BF priming calculater -- dissolve in boiling water -- add solution to bottling bucket -- siphon beer from fermenter into bucket -- stir gently then bottle!

I'm making a sweet stout this weekend for the first time, you've made me nervous now ><

Only used lactose once to make a chocolate milk stout (Velveteen from Brew UK) and out the keg it pours nicely but head dissipates very quickly and it ends up quite lifeless.

Latest posts

Back