Anyone else leak in the night?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NPi

Regular.
Reaction score
I thought this would just become a problem as I got older, but no. Unfortunately of late I've found I've been leaking in the night. Vasaline, thread tape, plastic tape, all to no avail

I long for the dry nights of my youth...
IMG_20210326_074314.jpg

Where is it leaking from? and maybe a full tap strip down once the brew has finished if it is in the valve section the issue could be as simple as crud

I bought a new plastic fermenting bin tap from THBC a few weeks ago. Dripped continuously from the top of the tap all through fermentation then sprayed everywhere during bottling. Not pleased.

Where is it leaking from? and maybe a full tap strip down once the brew has finished if it is in the valve section the issue could be as simple as crud
It's the seal between the kettle and tap, I have rubber and metal washers both sides, along with vaseline and tape, but it still seems to leak. When warm the leak stops, so only really a problem overnight before a brew day.

Its obviously is expanding under heat and sealing when warm. Have you tried without the metal washers which unless Stainless I would not have on the wort side. I am sure somebody who has a tap on their FV/Kettle will pipe up and give a better solution than me but just to add my brew kettle does not have any metal washers on either side

Is the piece threaded that goes into the kettle. If so the water may be leaking via the thread. A dowty washer against the kettle surface should cure this as it will seal the thread.

Its obviously is expanding under heat and sealing when warm. Have you tried without the metal washers which unless Stainless I would not have on the wort side. I am sure somebody who has a tap on their FV/Kettle will pipe up and give a better solution than me but just to add my brew kettle does not have any metal washers on either side
It's stainless but like @Dads_Ale says it's likely leaking through the thread. I think next time I'm going to blu tack the outside, it's not a lot of water loss. I think just a bit more of a seal externally will stop it.

I had the same annoying issue lately.
It ended up being that I was winding the PTFE tape the opposite direction to the way the nut goes on. It was tearing the tape up as it tightened and water was creeping through. Maybe something to try.

Is the piece threaded that goes into the kettle. If so the water may be leaking via the thread. A dowty washer against the kettle surface should cure this as it will seal the thread.
Have not heard Dowty seal for years they used to use them around these areas for the hydraulic systems used in the Coal Mines obviously long gone

I had this on mine and it was the internal washer that was the issue.

weirdly i removed the dodgy washer and all was fine I never even replaced it, I did at least 6 more brews in that pot before I sold it

if all else has failed you could take it apart & reassemble with silicone sealant (important to use one free of fungicide e.g. Dow Corning 781)

Latest posts

Back