Anyone fasting for lent (on beer)?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hadn't realised the Great Lent had snuck up on us. What a splendid idea to swallow no solid food for the entire fast, and keep body and soul together on "liquid bread".
It's a bit anti-dry-January, innit! And I'm sure the good LORD will de-liver us.

I hadn't realised the Great Lent had snuck up on us. What a splendid idea to swallow no solid food for the entire fast, and keep body and soul together on "liquid bread".
It's a bit anti-dry-January, innit! And I'm sure the good LORD will de-liver us.
I had a funny feeling you'd be up for this!

So it’s not quite the same right, lol

But somehow my girlfriend persuaded me to do vegetarian February. I dunno, I thought about it a couple days when she suggested it and it sounded like a laugh so I thought screw it I’ll do it lol.

Week in right, I realise. Everyone single one of my homebrews so far is non vegetarian cos of the fining agent I used lol. 60 bottles of vino I can’t drink right now. Gutted. Also, try siphoning 4 gallons of wine into bottles without any of it going in your mouth. It’s tricky lol.

Tell you what though. Asking for a vegetarian white wine in a pub is good fun. I had a laugh eyeballing the back of 3 different bottles looking for the bit that said ‘suitable for vegans’ lol.

Never understood the whole fasting thing. Why make yourself miserable for weeks on end??

What people tend to forget about 17th century beer is that it contained less alcohol, and most probably more starches and proteins than modern beer. Which makes it more equivalent with bread than modern day beer.

I'd give it a go, wonder if my employer would be sympathetic if it was on religious grounds :D

To be fair on other religions a beer should be brewed for ramadan a ding dong that's not far away either.

Back