Anyone got some part mash recipes?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mackem brewer

Reaction score
Hi,

I've started getting back into brewing and delved into the world of part-mashing a brew or two if that's what it's called. I've invested into some crushed grains and have most of my equipment sorted... The only thing I'm missing is hops I think.

So I was planning on using some cheap extract tins as a base, I have stout, lager and a Belgian dubbel.

Grains I have
3kg pilsner
3kg lager malt
3kg pale ale
500g crystal
500g dark malt
500g Vienna

Again I have no hops yet, any advice would be great or even a link to recipes, it's my understanding with a part mash you'll be halfing the grains/hops involved?

Thanks

I managed to get a brew going yesterday using a Ritchie's lager kit as the base about 1.8kg of crushed grains (Vienna, lager and crystal I think) at a 40/40/20 mix and about 700g of brewing sugar.

Hops went into boil for 45 mins and 15 mins, I might dry hop if that's when you add to the nearly beer?

Hops were Saaz and tettnang, about 25g each 20 at first 5 near end of boil.

Hydrometer reading was 1054 so the mash must have went well I think, depending what ferments I think I'd be looking upto 8%?

I winged the whole process since I only had a 7l pot to mash/boil in, this was more about putting things into practice.

I think I did ok? Normally I don't make beers that strong but figured I might as well experiment a bit.

I managed to get a brew going yesterday using a Ritchie's lager kit as the base about 1.8kg of crushed grains (Vienna, lager and crystal I think) at a 40/40/20 mix and about 700g of brewing sugar.

Hops went into boil for 45 mins and 15 mins, I might dry hop if that's when you add to the nearly beer?

Hydrometer reading was 1054 so the mash must have went well I think, depending what ferments I think I'd be looking upto 8%?

I winged the whole process since I only had a 7l pot to mash/boil in, this was more about putting things into practice.

I think I did ok? Normally I don't make beers that strong but figured I might as well experiment a bit.
well done - I’m sure it’ll be great 👍🏻
perhaps leave the sugar out another time …
when tweaking things it really helps to keep a brewing log, to remember what you used
in the meantime you would find it interesting to have a look at this thread I think: Have a go at simple AG

I think you did amazingly. What's the final volume? Is it a 40-pinter? You won't get 8% abv from a wort with OG 1054, more like 5.5% I should think.

well done - I’m sure it’ll be great 👍🏻
perhaps leave the sugar out another time …
when tweaking things it really helps to keep a brewing log, to remember what you used
in the meantime you would find it interesting to have a look at this thread I think: Have a go at simple AG
Thanks for the link! I do have a recipe but I had to half everything due to the pot size... I've just ordered a 15l which will be perfect for the corny kegs I've got.

I'm convinced full grain is the way to go since this went so well with little planning, seems a few stores do kits for around £200 too which I might invest in.

I used brewmate to make the recipe but it seemed to lack a lot of options ingredients wise.

I think you did amazingly. What's the final volume? Is it a 40-pinter? You won't get 8% abv from a wort with OG 1054, more like 5.5% I should think.
40 Pinter and that was the final reading after topping up to about 22L, looking back I used 1kg of brew sugar. If I remember correctly some of it is unfermentables?

There really wasn't much room in the pot so I drained then sparged pretty liberally, the mash time was probably about 90 mins too.

I'm not sure what inspired me to put the sugar in, would've been nice and light otherwise haha. It was a lot easier than I thought and considering the way I went about it seemingly idiot proof too!
I can't wait to set an AG off now

Thanks for the link! I do have a recipe but I had to half everything due to the pot size... I've just ordered a 15l which will be perfect for the corny kegs I've got.

I'm convinced full grain is the way to go since this went so well with little planning, seems a few stores do kits for around £200 too which I might invest in.

I used brewmate to make the recipe but it seemed to lack a lot of options ingredients wise.
You can add ingredients to Brewmate. And you can convert any all grain recipe to partial mash. One kilo of grain is replaced with 750g of LME or 600g of DME. Or just do it in Brewmate. Put the AG recipe in and adjust.

@mackem brewer
I was just browsing this little litany of horrors and discovered that some of the recipes are partial mash. You'll need to check the scaling,though. Home Brew Recipes

I should add that I can't vouch for these recipes as the only one I've tried needed some serious rescaling and I don't get why his "actuals" are so different to the target parameters. Nevertheless, plenty of food for thought, grist to the mill and all that sort of stuff.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back