Anyone have experience with WLP 540 yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djheaton321

Reaction score
As the title suggests really. A few months or so ago I brewed a Belgian with an OG of 1.093. The fermentation stalled at 1.026, I was expecting 1.014. I tried a few things, turn the temperature up, added more yeast, it didn't change anything. I tend to think I under pitched the yeast at the start. I have now had another attempt, the OG was 1.100 and I stepped up a 5 litre starter. In the first few days the SG had dropped by nearly 70 points, it then seem to slow right down and almost stop. It is currently dropping at the rate of 1 point every couple of days or so with very little airlock activity. It has now been 2 1/2 weeks and the SG is at 1.027. I added a litre of actively fermenting starter a few days ago and agitated the yeast to take it out of suspension but it doesn't seem to have made any difference. Is WLP 540 a very slow finisher or am I heading towards another stalled fermentation? Does anyone have any tips on anything else I could try doing?

Latest posts

Back