Anyone made a decent White Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_kc

Reaction score
Going to try a White/Golden Stout. Looks like the idea is a Golden Ale base recipe then some roast character as a dry hop. If anyone could give some feedback on the below recipe that would be really appreciated:

78% Maris otter
15% Flaked barley
5% Flaked oats
2% Caramunich

EKG @ 60m 28 IBU
EKG @ 5 m 2 IBU

Mash at 66°C, Looking for an OG 1.047
US-05

1oz/gallon Cacau Nibs 2 day dry hop
.5 oz/gallon Coffee Beans 2 day dry hop

Going to try a White/Golden Stout. Looks like the idea is a Golden Ale base recipe then some roast character as a dry hop. If anyone could give some feedback on the below recipe that would be really appreciated:

78% Maris otter
15% Flaked barley
5% Flaked oats
2% Caramunich

EKG @ 60m 28 IBU
EKG @ 5 m 2 IBU

Mash at 66°C, Looking for an OG 1.047
US-05

1oz/gallon Cacau Nibs 2 day dry hop
.5 oz/gallon Coffee Beans 2 day dry hop
Going back 250 years breweries produced Pale and Amber stouts where stout meant strong. Today's product derives its name from Stout Porter so stout today tends to be the colour of squid ink. You should look to An Ankou and PeeBee for advice on your recipe. Not saying there 250 yo but they follow old recipe sources.

Going back 250 years breweries produced Pale and Amber stouts where stout meant strong. Today's product derives its name from Stout Porter so stout today tends to be the colour of squid ink. You should look to An Ankou and PeeBee for advice on your recipe. Not saying there 250 yo but they follow old recipe sources.
I guess I'm going for more of the appearance of a golden ale but the mouthfeel and taste of a stout. Don't know how close you can get with coffee and cacau nibs but guess I'm more interested in the playful aspect of this brew.

Going back 250 years breweries produced Pale and Amber stouts where stout meant strong.

But the OP is thinking of the modern "white" stout style, which is nothing to do with historical beers - it's a playful attempt to get the coffee and bitter chocolate flavours of a modern black stout, in a beer that is as pale as possible. There was a burst of them in 2016/17 or so.

Few comments - use extra-pale/pilsner rather than pale malt to counter the darkening effect of the coffee. A little smoked malt can help. Some British hops like Flyer and Phoenix can help - not easy to find but Bushel of Hops has home-grown Flyer and Brewstore has Phoenix. Also see the two recipes in this thread over on BrewUK for ideas.

This article may also be helpful, Scott Janish found that cold-brewing coffee was better for flavour, dry-beaning was better for aroma :
https://scottjanish.com/guide-to-coffee-beers/
This HBT thread has some ideas on introducing chocolate :
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/samuel-smiths-organic-chocolate-stout-clone-request.370706/

I have tried several times and its really f***ing hard.

My first approach was to use a small amount of pale chocolate malt, to impart flavour but keep the colour light. I realised that even a tiny amount of darker malts really substantially darkens the beer.

Subsequent attempts for grist I used combinations of the following:

Extra Pale MO (or other extra pale base malt)
Flaked Torrified Oats
Flaked Torrified Wheat
Flaked Torrified Barley
Flaked Oats
Flaked Wheat
Lactose

For flavourings, I've aged in secondary on:
Toasted cacao nibs
Vanilla pods
Tonka Beans
Chicory root (google it, it really works).

I've yet to hit a balanced recipe that I like. But I'm getting closer...

But the OP is thinking of the modern "white" stout style, which is nothing to do with historical beers - it's a playful attempt to get the coffee and bitter chocolate flavours of a modern black stout, in a beer that is as pale as possible. There was a burst of them in 2016/17 or so.

Few comments - use extra-pale/pilsner rather than pale malt to counter the darkening effect of the coffee. A little smoked malt can help. Some British hops like Flyer and Phoenix can help - not easy to find but Bushel of Hops has home-grown Flyer and Brewstore has Phoenix. Also see the two recipes in this thread over on BrewUK for ideas.

This article may also be helpful, Scott Janish found that cold-brewing coffee was better for flavour, dry-beaning was better for aroma :
https://scottjanish.com/guide-to-coffee-beers/
This HBT thread has some ideas on introducing chocolate :
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/samuel-smiths-organic-chocolate-stout-clone-request.370706/
Great thank you, will have a read through these.

I have tried several times and its really f***ing hard.

My first approach was to use a small amount of pale chocolate malt, to impart flavour but keep the colour light. I realised that even a tiny amount of darker malts really substantially darkens the beer.

Subsequent attempts for grist I used combinations of the following:

Extra Pale MO (or other extra pale base malt)
Flaked Torrified Oats
Flaked Torrified Wheat
Flaked Torrified Barley
Flaked Oats
Flaked Wheat
Lactose

For flavourings, I've aged in secondary on:
Toasted cacao nibs
Vanilla pods
Tonka Beans
Chicory root (google it, it really works).

I've yet to hit a balanced recipe that I like. But I'm getting closer...
Ha. I find most brews hard, I always feel something hasn't gone quite right 🙃

It's hard because a white stout isn't a stout as we know it today. As I said stout in the 18th century meant strong so could be applied to any hue of beer. Whereas today you are trying to get the modern stout taste without dark malts and that's going to be bloody hard IMO.

Latest posts

Back