Anyone made a home made kegerator?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14036952/engineer-builds-a-beer-tap-into-his-fridge/
This guy reckons he's an engineer and it took him 6 days, I can't work out how it took more than a couple of hours and that would include having a beer after installing the tap :confused.:
6 days?!?!?! I’m useless with all things DIY and mine took me about an hour to drill and fit the taps, then about another hour to set up all the lines etc (including threading through the drain hole which was probably the most difficult part.

Sold, I've got a battered chest freezer that still works that I'm getting rid of soon so that works!

Hi Darren. A kegerator is worth the effort. My Mark 1 kegerator built from a refurbished fridge off of Gumtree had taps in the door. I had some issues with the door moving the beer lines and eventually loosening them.
The compressor eventually died on the Mark 1 and I put my Mark 2 kegerator together with new fridge and a beer tower. Photos below. Five holes in top - one for the lines and four for the bolts to the tower. The set-up is serving me well.

With whatever set-up you go with, be sure to get the beer line length correct. Good luck!

full
full

@samale male sure you get long shank taps if going through the side of the fridge as the short ones won’t fit all the way through the insulation inside. I have 1 short shank tap and had to drill out the inside bigger than the outside to fit the locknut.

@samale male sure you get long shank taps if going through the side of the fridge as the short ones won’t fit all the way through the insulation inside. I have 1 short shank tap and had to drill out the inside bigger than the outside to fit the locknut.
I had planned on going through the door. What's your advice. Has the sides got cooling coil or is it just the back.

Hi Darren. A kegerator is worth the effort. My Mark 1 kegerator built from a refurbished fridge off of Gumtree had taps in the door. I had some issues with the door moving the beer lines and eventually loosening them.
The compressor eventually died on the Mark 1 and I put my Mark 2 kegerator together with new fridge and a beer tower. Photos below. Five holes in top - one for the lines and four for the bolts to the tower. The set-up is serving me well.

With whatever set-up you go with, be sure to get the beer line length correct. Good luck!

full
full

I just love the 10 year guarantee sticker..🤣🤣🤣...I've a funny feeling that may be void

I had planned on going through the door. What's your advice. Has the sides got cooling coil or is it just the back.
Just the back. If on the door when you open and close it the pipes swing back and forth and can loosen the tap etc. I keep bottles of wine etc in mine so open the door a lot so I put the taps on the side and fixed the pipes down so no movement.

I just love the 10 year guarantee sticker..🤣🤣🤣...I've a funny feeling that may be void
Yeah, you're not the first to say that! Thankfully, the guarantee was 10* years and not 10 years though. The * is the price for an engineer to visit which was more than half the cost of the fridge. I'd consider it a calculated risk that seems to have worked out!

I’ve made a keezer (6 foot chest freezer) bought second hand for 50 quid then a wooden collar so my taps and pipe work can fit, no heater needed as you want it to work as a fridge (easy option inkbird ) I’ve also added some ducts with a computer fan to circulate the cold air. A couple of pictures I’ve found I can add more but at work at the moment
6551224B-151B-4FAE-A7A7-EE688976AB50.jpeg
0A0918D0-E91B-4182-8883-49CF3B7AA8B3.jpeg

The side sounds more practical then 👍
I have 3 taps on my door and don't have this issue, but then I leave slack in mine and let than hang rather than routing them tightly. I also use comparatively short lengths of 3/16 rather than many feet of 5/16.
I suggest looking at kits like these from BrewKegTap if you're a beginner as you'll get everything you need and instructions: Premium Double Keg Kit - choice of Keg, Tap and Regulator. It's actually a very fair price compared to getting everything seperately I think.

I have 3 taps on my door and don't have this issue, but then I leave slack in mine and let than hang rather than routing them tightly. I also use comparatively short lengths of 3/16 rather than many feet of 5/16.
I suggest looking at kits like these from BrewKegTap if you're a beginner as you'll get everything you need and instructions: Premium Double Keg Kit - choice of Keg, Tap and Regulator. It's actually a very fair price compared to getting everything seperately I think.
I have this already on order with a 45 cm stainless drip tray. Trying to source gas now. Hopefully I will be up and running soon enough

@Strangey what did you make your fan ducting from? I've also got some PC fans in my keezer attached to tumble dryer flexi ducting but it's quite awkward and bulky. Your solution looks rather more elegant.
Cheers pal I got some ducting from screw fix cost me about 6 quid for one long piece and a angle joint then I taped a plastic bag over one end 😆

I got my gas bottle from the folk that supply my local with gas- no deposit, and £11 for a refill...

Question for the H&S and not so H&S conscious. Do I need to consider getting a Co2 monitor? My kegerator will be in a smallish 10ft x 10ft room and I will likely be using 1 x 6 kg Co2 cylinder?

Back