Anyone Made 'Super Session IPA'?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metman79

Reaction score
Looking to make a tasty, sessionable highly hopped IPA, but something I can bottle or dare I say, put in a plastic keg. Has anyone tried the 'Lawson's Finest Liquids - Super Session IPA' from The Big Book of Homebrew? If so, how did it turn out? It sounds fairly straightforward and is singly dry hopped.

Really want to get on the bandwagon with some juicy NEIPA action but don't want to go near those until I can keg properly.

Thanks

20210517_182757.jpg

Hadn't heard of either, but just found the book in free e-format so downloading it. In the meantime, you could try Eight Arch "Corbel" at 5% abv.

Looks like there's variants that use all centennial all mosaic etc, buy suspect it's not as straightforward a recipe to simple swap the hops but stick with the same grain bill. Where would I find the Corbel recipe?

Looks like there's variants that use all centennial all mosaic etc, buy suspect it's not as straightforward a recipe to simple swap the hops but stick with the same grain bill. Where would I find the Corbel recipe?
Its in the "CAMRA's Essential Home Brewing" book by Wheeler and Andy Parker, but there is too much base malt for the declared OG and the bittering units don't add up to the declared 53 IBUs. In short, the recipe hasn't been scaled properly. Here's my reworked recipe changing nothing but the quantities to give the declared OG and IBUs:
20 litres : OG 1052 : FG 1010 : abv 5.5% IBUs 53 (all from the book)
Water: look up water supply for WImborne Minster. Mine is very soft and I added ½ tsp CaCl2, 1 tsp CaSO4 and ½ tsp MgSO4 to the mash.
4.16 Kg pale ale malt (variety not specified)
100g torrified wheat.
Single infusion mash at 66C (mine finished a bit low so maybe 67C)
70 minute boil
Magnum hops to 30 IBUs FWH
15g Chinook and 10g Ahtanum for 10 minutes (they say 15, but I think 10 gives more flavour for less bitterness)
10g Chinook, 15g Ahtanum, 15g Cascade for 5 minutes (they say 10 minutes but as above)
30g Mosaic, 20g Cascade at flameout
Pitch with Safale US-05
60g Mosaic and 40g Ahtanum dry hop for 2 days at end of fermentation.

Bottle it up and it needs about 6 weeks to come together in the bottle.
I've made this twice and it's a good beer.
Make sure your Cascade, at least, are fresh as they don't keep very well.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the recipe. We have soft water here and I've not started to dabble in changing the water chemistry yet for brews, but is something I aim to do in the near future. I'm guessing with the flame out additions you whirlpool at 80ish for 30mins, or do you just leave them in whilst you cool to pitching temp? Good suggestion and I might try it out.

Thanks for the recipe. We have soft water here and I've not started to dabble in changing the water chemistry yet for brews, but is something I aim to do in the near future. I'm guessing with the flame out additions you whirlpool at 80ish for 30mins, or do you just leave them in whilst you cool to pitching temp? Good suggestion and I might try it out.
I chuck them in at flameout and then start chilling with an immersion chiller. If your water's soft, you might add the bits and pieces I add to mine. I think Wimborne's is quite hard.

Went down the easy route and bought the Eight Arch Corbel kit from MM. Will see how I get on 👍

I chuck them in at flameout and then start chilling with an immersion chiller. If your water's soft, you might add the bits and pieces I add to mine. I think Wimborne's is quite hard.

The stuff has arrived, so I'm just pondering on when to brew clapa. I could do it on Thursday but then we're away for a 8 days or so. In that case I'd just bang it the fermenter at 17°C (Safale US-05 ideal range 15-22°C) and dry hop when I got back. Recipe suggests dry hopping around day 4, which I could only do if I was here and in that case I could bump the temperature up around day 4 to keep the yeast active. Any suggestions on what would be best? What's your fermentation temperature regime and when did you dry hop?

On the latter was also going to go for the magnet on the outside with stainless steels ball bearings with the hop sock inside and then just pull and drop. So either way would want to get the dry hops in there and ready to go at the beginning. We've got lots of visitors over the next few months so just making sure there will be beer to glug! :onechug:

I would have thought 8 days at 17C was not completely necessary, but not excessive either. Especially for US-05. I tend to rack my beer off the yeast and trub after about a week into a secondary fermenter. I add the dry hops when the beer starts to drop bright.

Okay thanks for the advice, I was working on the 2:2:2 principle, so would probably end 2 weeks altogether fermenting before bottling. 8 days primary fermenter, then just need to figure out the order of dry hop/transfer/cold crash and adding priming sugar before bottling. Only want to transfer once before bottling, to minimise oxidation so best to add priming sugar once cold so priming takes place in the bottle and not in the fermenter! Think I'll add hops when I get back after 8 days, then cold crash after a couple of days (day 10) as the fridge takes a little while to get the temp down, then transfer to secondary with priming sugar (day 12) solution before bottling on or around day 14..

I would have thought 8 days at 17C was not completely necessary, but not excessive either. Especially for US-05. I tend to rack my beer off the yeast and trub after about a week into a secondary fermenter. I add the dry hops when the beer starts to drop bright.
Made this in the end a good while ago and it's just been getting better with every bottle, of which there's only two left now ashock1.

Will definitely brew again, thanks for the tip off.

Latest posts

Back