Anyone making vinegar?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerCat

Landlord.
Reaction score
East and West Grimblestbottom under the rye
A few weeks ago i decided to try and make some vinegar. Really simple process, i took 500ml of Flanders red and added the dregs of some organic apple cider vinegar. I now have a scoby in the bottle and it is starting to sour. Probably going to take a few months to finish and the intention is to add some back to the beer when i bottle if its not developed enough acidity. I presume vinegar is best with low bitterness beers

Has anyone else made their own vinegar intentionally or otherwise?

Tried it once for exactly the same reason, to blend back into beer. Unfortunately, I got too good at forgetting about it and returned to find some rather thick, unpleasant looking mould on top. Chucked it, but will try again. Bitterness shouldn't be an issue with acetobacter, it'll just be another flavour to consider when blending.

The Flanders red should of been really low IBU but I had a weird bitter aftertaste which seems to have faded as it becomes more acidic.
i just did mine in a narrow topped bottle but it might be hard to get the SCOBY out. I think it's about a month old now.
Weird you had mold from what I read it is unusual. Perhaps it did not sour fast enough.

You must provide access to oxygen (air) or the bugs will just go dormant. You might encourage the wrong bugs if not careful. Note: Many vinegars are distilled to get 5% acetic acid, but that might only be a ploy to not wait ages?

I think I just left it open way too long, and the mold grew on the mother that floated around the surface. It probably would have been fine had I decanted it earlier.

I just checked mine and there is another SCOBY in there. Was not there at the weekend. As i take samples and tip the bottle it drops to the bottom and a new one forms on top.
DSC_1857.JPG
DSC_1858.JPG

You must provide access to oxygen (air) or the bugs will just go dormant. You might encourage the wrong bugs if not careful. Note: Many vinegars are distilled to get 5% acetic acid, but that might only be a ploy to not wait ages?

I think your right it is to shorten production time. From what i have read it takes a few months normally.

A few weeks ago i decided to try and make some vinegar. Really simple process, i took 500ml of Flanders red and added the dregs of some organic apple cider vinegar. I now have a scoby in the bottle and it is starting to sour. Probably going to take a few months to finish and the intention is to add some back to the beer when i bottle if its not developed enough acidity. I presume vinegar is best with low bitterness beers

Has anyone else made their own vinegar intentionally or otherwise?
I make apple cider vinegar from wind fall damaged apples.

I make apple cider vinegar from wind fall damaged apples.
Does it look anything like this? See,s to be on the right track. I removed the apples last night and added a little vinegar to speed it up. Didn't taste it this time as it's started to smell a bit funky.
2019-11-29 12.03.34.jpg

Attachments

• 2019-11-29 12.06.13.jpg
    2019-11-29 12.06.13.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 202
Does it look anything like this? See,s to be on the right track. I removed the apples last night and added a little vinegar to speed it up. Didn't taste it this time as it's started to smell a bit funky.
View attachment 21658
Yes, it starts off looking just like that, have a look on line there are plenty of how to videos, never get it quite as clear as I would like but a good tangy tasty vinegar.

This is the apple cider vinegar I made recently from apple cores and peel left over from the apple chutney. Thats about as clear as i can get it, smells and tastes great but.
005.JPG

@foxy What is the but? I am using loads of vinegar in cooking now. I make some from starters so its weak vinegar compared to some but its acidic enough for salads and tastes awesome and i can use loads in place of wine. So far made it from bretted beer, lagers and stout.

Latest posts

Back