Anyone seen a rocky head like this one?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewboy24

Reaction score
I’ve never used yeast from Proper Job before, although I have been harvesting yeast from bottle conditioned ale for many years. So imagine my surprise when I lifted the lid on the fermenting bin and saw this. I pitched the yeast at 2.00 pm yesterday after stepping it up 4 times and at 10.30 this morning, I took the picture. A couple of hours later, the crop looks like a normal rocky head, so had I left it too long, I could easily have missed it. I can’t begin to think why the yeast looks to be extruded in single strands? Any suggestions?
By the way, the black wormy thing is the heater cable. The brew is an Old Tom clone at O.G. 1.080.
5BC80CA7-9A6B-48E4-B85F-85DABF1C1EED.jpeg

Yes! I had this twice at least and took pictures. From my notes:

From my 7th brew John Bull Best Bitter
⦁ 2nd at 1pm - Krausen had grown into the crazy snake things that look like Andross's brain from Starfox. The next day they'd lost cohesion and it was more of a puffy mass.

From my 6th brew also John Bull Bitter
⦁ Before I went to bed the krausen had done the snakes thing. 5th of Nov at 15:30 it was just a puffy mess but going fast. Airlock bubbling about every 5 seconds.

Both using Nottingham. You can find picture on google images but I can't remember what to type. I'll edit later whien I've got time.

Yes! I had this twice at least and took pictures. From my notes:

From my 7th brew John Bull Best Bitter
⦁ 2nd at 1pm - Krausen had grown into the crazy snake things that look like Andross's brain from Starfox. The next day they'd lost cohesion and it was more of a puffy mass.

From my 6th brew also John Bull Bitter
⦁ Before I went to bed the krausen had done the snakes thing. 5th of Nov at 15:30 it was just a puffy mess but going fast. Airlock bubbling about every 5 seconds.

Both using Nottingham. You can find picture on google images but I can't remember what to type. I'll edit later whien I've got time.
How did it finish up? Was it OK?

How did it finish up? Was it OK?
Just checked the notes and both beers stuck at 1.020 - but don't worry because both of the kits were out of date and I short brewed them to 3 gallons. I got 28 beer kits for £1.25 and a lot of them were out of date and even with new yeast quite a few of them stuck at 1.020, especially if I was using S-04.

I got both beers going again by aerating the hell out of them. I really don't think you'll need to. Loads of the kits tasted weird, metallic like putting coins in your mouth. I used to meddle and poke at things back then much more than now and I think I oxidised loads of the beers. Now because I don't tit about so much I bet I've had the snakes happen and never even knew about it.

This is further notes on the one I turned into a Christmas ale that everybody really liked, my mate Athos adored it.

⦁ 14th 1:25am As well as 5g each of cascade I added a boiled up mix of marmalade, mixed spice, lemon zest and a cinammon stick to one DJ and 2 cardamom pods, some raisins and cinnamon stick to the other. The raisin mix was really sweet and I liked it. I've no idea if any of these will give any flavour to the brews and maybe they'll be completely destroyed by the cascade which is why I limited it to 5g each. Think I'll have to gelatine these babies. It's worked incredibly well with the Trad English.

⦁ 16th 15:30 tasted them both and the one with raisins definitely had a hint of something and I'm leaving that alone. It seems good. The raisins are so bloated and scary looking, like they'll ruin the brew. The marmalade and spice one doesn't seem to have anything but the cascade so I'm thinking of beefing that one up with the same things.

⦁ 17th ~ 10pm - I added a load more marmalade, mixed spice, cinammon, an all-spice berry and 2 cardomom pods to the one that wasn't very tasty. By the 19th the taste was punchy with maybe too much cardamom.

Looking at the testing notes 47 days after bottling one I said could be a commercial beer 8/10.

Just checked the notes and both beers stuck at 1.020 - but don't worry because both of the kits were out of date and I short brewed them to 3 gallons. I got 28 beer kits for £1.25 and a lot of them were out of date and even with new yeast quite a few of them stuck at 1.020, especially if I was using S-04.

I got both beers going again by aerating the hell out of them. I really don't think you'll need to. Loads of the kits tasted weird, metallic like putting coins in your mouth. I used to meddle and poke at things back then much more than now and I think I oxidised loads of the beers. Now because I don't tit about so much I bet I've had the snakes happen and never even knew about it.

This is further notes on the one I turned into a Christmas ale that everybody really liked, my mate Athos adored it.

⦁ 14th 1:25am As well as 5g each of cascade I added a boiled up mix of marmalade, mixed spice, lemon zest and a cinammon stick to one DJ and 2 cardamom pods, some raisins and cinnamon stick to the other. The raisin mix was really sweet and I liked it. I've no idea if any of these will give any flavour to the brews and maybe they'll be completely destroyed by the cascade which is why I limited it to 5g each. Think I'll have to gelatine these babies. It's worked incredibly well with the Trad English.

⦁ 16th 15:30 tasted them both and the one with raisins definitely had a hint of something and I'm leaving that alone. It seems good. The raisins are so bloated and scary looking, like they'll ruin the brew. The marmalade and spice one doesn't seem to have anything but the cascade so I'm thinking of beefing that one up with the same things.

⦁ 17th ~ 10pm - I added a load more marmalade, mixed spice, cinammon, an all-spice berry and 2 cardomom pods to the one that wasn't very tasty. By the 19th the taste was punchy with maybe too much cardamom.

Looking at the testing notes 47 days after bottling one I said could be a commercial beer 8/10.
Wow, are you sure you’re in the right forum. Sounds more like a cake than a beer! lol. Strangely enough, due to the virus and not being able to get hold if any ingredients, everything in my brew is also out of date. I’m all grain but the Pale Malt is about18 months old. It still looks OK with no signs if mould etc, so i’m giving it a go, I’m making a strong brew to try and cover over any inconsistencies. It mashed OK, so i’m hoping it will ferment down but it’s a bit of an experiment really.

Back