Anyone tried Young's New World Saison

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigJC

Reaction score
I've got a pack waiting for the APA to finish but when I read the instructions it talks about starting with a temperature above 25oC and to ferment between 20 and 32oC.
My FV currently ferments around 18 to 20oC and with the colder weather coming it may drop to 16.

I have a Coopers FV with the clip lid and tap, is there anything I can buy that will help maintain the required temperatures?

I'm just starting on Saisons. One in the bottles and one racked to bottle in a week or so. I did both at the same sort of temps as all my other brews and the results still have a taste I've never had before in any beer.

You might not have to get the temps up too far for it to be extraordinary.

Both of mine have fermented down to 1.003 or 1.004. (Might try Saison yeast on a Wherry. That might learn it for sticking at 1020.)

Wrapping a towel, blanket or even a duvet around the FV will help prevent heat loss overnight during the exothermic initial phase, which will help give the higher temps in the FV.

I started this kit at the beginning of October and bottled on the 17th. I used a trug with a couple of aquarium heaters and managed to keep it going at 28C for the fortnight, getting down to 1.007. I hadn't even had a Saison (or even heard of the style) until a bottle swap the month before, so didn't know quite what to expect. It's ended up a lot more hoppy than the few examples I've tried but with a very different background taste to other beers I've tried - slightly sour more like the lambic style. I would put it alongside Razorback as the best kit I've done - quite different, and more one to savour than to quaff.

Brewed this at 26C for 3 weeks, didn't bother with gravity readings but this has turned out as a cracking brew that just gets better and better been in bottles for 5 weeks.

It I did it again I would do it at 28-30c as whilst I love mine it doesnt have quite enough of the spicy flavours I like in saisons and believe this may be due to brewing temp.

Hi all my first post ive had mine in bottles for 4 weeks now wasnt sure what to expect but found this far to hoppy for my taste :(

Hello All

I had a first sample of my Youngs New World Saison a couple of days ago, after three weeks in the bottle. Very very good in my opinion. I'm not an expert on saison styles so not sure if this one is meant to be a classic example of the style - perhaps not given that it's intended to be a new world version and uses New Zealand hops - but it tasted to me very like Hoegaarden, but with a bit more hops on the nose. Nice slightly cloudy golden colour and very good creamy white head. I feel that it's only going to get better with time, and I will definitely be making it again, although this batch may last for a while as one bottle goes quite a long way. The ABV on the batch was about 5.8%, which is a bit less than the kit promised but that's often the way.

I've made the Youngs American IPA, the APA and now the NWS and they are all excellent. That said, I do have a particular fondness for kits which require dry hopping - the Festival Razorback IPA is another favourite.

Hopefully I'll get my Saison on next week, fingers crossed that it turns out well as it is theoretically right up my street taste wise.

I bought this the other week but after reading a post on it I am waiting to brew it when I have finished the brew that is on as I think I will leave it on heater tray as a higher temp is better for this one

My Youngs Saison seems to be doing well. I started the brew on the 4th and it had an SG of 1055, tested yesterday for the first time and it's dropped down to 1012.

There was a nice even krausen but it seemed to disappear after day 4? The temperature in my cabinet has been a rock steady 30c for the whole time. I was planning to take another SG reading this weekend and then hop if it has dropped sufficiently, does this seem ok?

I started this kit last night. I fancied something different that I can pummel my liver with in the summer! :eek:. If it was good enough for Belgian farm hands, then I thought I'd give it a go.

My started off at 1056 gravity, so if I can get it down to the suggested 1006, I'll be happy as Larry (not to mention a bit pished when I get started on it!).

I found the key to kicking it off was as much as 5 litres of boiling water added to the LME, before topping up to 23ltrs. I also rehydrated the saison yeast in water at 30 degrees C and added a bit of the supplied dextrose to get it happy. Guessed that there was no point fannying around with the timer and my heat pad and just plugged it straight in. I'm maintaining a fairly steady 28 degrees C in the cupboard under the stairs.

It shot off, and the underside of the fermenter lid is totally brown with krausen. Might get this done in two weeks?

The bonus is my 5 ltrs of Merlot is now maintaining a steady temperature of 20* C with the small fermenter sat on the lid of the large fermenter! :party:

Looking forward to both by the time I can sit in the back garden. :cool:

Started this 19th Jan and bottled on 2/2 - exactly 2 weeks which was plenty of time. My OG was 1056, and it ended up at 1006 so this is going to be strong.
What I did find though is that the beer was clearing nicely in the FV after 12 days to the extent that I drank the hydrometer sample - yum, and then I added the hops. This comes with a whopping pack of hops, 100g I think. As per instructions I did this 2 days before bottling straight into the FV. When I batch primed my brew it was looking quite noxious really and it was a job to syphon into the bottling barrel as it kept clogging in spite of me using a strainer from a Festival kit, it was so bad I lost a few pints at the bottom of the barrel as it got too sludgy. It is conditioning in the warm, and is settling well but next time I would be tempted to bag the hops next time. Although this might reduce the hop hit, so I will make a decision after tasting.
Looking forward to it though, but I will probably be limited to 1 of these a day given the strength.

I've just openly first bottle of this four weeks after bottling. It's one of the best beers that I have brewed, very hoppy, not unlike an Amarillo that I had in 'spoons earlier this week.

I started this kit a couple of weeks ago - it's only my second attempt at home brewing so I'm expecting to make mistakes. Followed the instructions to the letter and kept it at a fairly constant 26-28c using a brewbelt and keeping it in the corner of the living room. It went off like a rocket - 3-4 inches of krausen after 12 hours, but this settled down to around an inch for the first 4-5 days then a steady thin foam from then on. It started at 1054 and at day 13 is now at 1008. I'm leaving it another week before bottling as I'm away this weekend, so hopefully it might come down by another point or two. Dry hopping mid-week if all goes to plan. Tasted the trial jar today and it certainly seems really promising, quite hoppy already even before the extra hops have gone in.

I'm bottling straight from the fv, no secondary or bottling bucket. Any recommendations on the amount of priming sugar per bottle? Averaging out the pack of priming sugar over the 45-odd bottles I can expect to get from the batch I reckon around 3-4g per bottle. Do you reckon this will produce any bombs, or am I being too conservative? Any advice would be warmly welcomed!

One of my friends tell me use one thermostat (temperature controller) to keep the temperature constant,he bought one from china online.
The following is the detail Technical Parameter about the thermostat.

Brand:inkbird
Name:Thermostat ITC-1000
Technical Parameter:
Temperature Measuring Range: -50-210F / -50 -99 C
Resolution: 0.1F/ 0.1 C
Accuracy: +-1F(-50 F-160 F)/ +-1 C(-50 C -70 C)
Power Supply: 110VAC 50Hz/60Hz
Power Consumption: <3W
Sensor: NTC Sensor
Relay Contact Capacity: Cooling (10A/250VAC)/ Heating (10A/250VAC);
Ambient Temperature: 0 C-60 C
Storage Temperature: -30 C-75 C
Relative Humidity: 20-85% (No Condensate)

Well, after 4 weeks in the bottle I've cracked one open. It's only my second brew, and what a beauty! Carbed up well (though could have used a little more - this may come with a bit longer in the bottle though), and is quite peppery. Tastes a bit like a less subtle, more floral Duvel if I had to compare it. Definitely tastes very Belgian.

I think I might carry on with this homebrew lark...:D

I'm going to give this one a go. I find it difficult to keep the FV temp below 24 with a brew belt so this sounds the perfect 3rd attempt for me.

Currently have a Youngs AAA conditioning and liked the sample I had recently.

I've just opened this kit is it supposed to have two bags of wort? Only every other kit I've made has only one.
Thanks
J

I've just opened this kit is it supposed to have two bags of wort? Only every other kit I've made has only one.
Thanks
J

yes it has 2 bags I thought I'd scored an extra when I done it but sadly I was wrong

Latest posts

Back