Anyone up for a swap?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strange-steve

Quantum Brewer
Reaction score
I haven't done any swaps for a while cos I haven't had anything worth swapping, but I had a sample of my recently bottled reisling saison last night and was pretty pleased with it, so if anyone one like a swap please let me know athumb..

I haven't done any swaps for a while cos I haven't had anything worth swapping, but I had a sample of my recently bottled reisling saison last night and was pretty pleased with it, so if anyone one like a swap please let me know athumb..
Very interested to try this one Steve & have a table saison to trade if that's enough to pique your interest? Would love some feedback on it as well as I've been trying to push the ABV down without making it noticeable.

Very interested to try this one Steve & have a table saison to trade if that's enough to pique your interest? Would love some feedback on it as well as I've been trying to push the ABV down without making it noticeable.
Sounds great athumb..
Give me a few more days to condition this brew and make sure it's OK then I'll give you a shout :hat:

Anyone else interested in a swap?

I'm intrigued by your reisling Saison Steve, but haven't got much of any great interest to offer. I've got a bramling X porter, a coconut rum stout, or a Citra Saison. Won't be at all offended if they aren't if interest

I'm intrigued by your reisling Saison Steve, but haven't got much of any great interest to offer. I've got a bramling X porter, a coconut rum stout, or a Citra Saison. Won't be at all offended if they aren't if interest
Actually that coconut rum porter sounds right up my street, I'll be in contact in a few days :hat:

Thanks for the replies, so far I have:
Brewhaha
Oneflewover
Ajhutch
BeerCat
Hoddy

I'm going to have another taster tomorrow and if it's good I'll PM you all. @Hoddy I've had only a couple of smoked beers and I didn't like either of them but I'd like to have my mind changed.

This brew is a saison with flaked wheat, fermented with Wy3711, dry hopped with hallertau blanc and hull melon, and a bottle of alsace reisling added at bottling. The wine isn't too obvious but adds some interesting fruity, tangy flavours.

If you've not got enough swaps already then I'm interested, signature's up to date if anything piques you fancy but the Saison "Karmeliet" is what I'd suggest to see what you think of it.

Just having a taster now and I'm happy enough with it so I'll get a few wrapped up and sent off to
Brewhaha
Oneflewover
Ajhutch
BeerCat
Hoddy
Zephyr259

PMs on their way.

diR65hw.jpg

I drank the Reisling Saison this evening. Wasn't quite sure what to expect as a combination of wine and beer (at least in the same glass) is a new one on me. Keen to try it!

Aroma
Fruity and sweet up front. Background of breadiness. I can perceive both the wine and the yeast aromas working together. Really nice.

Flavour
I can (I hope!) tell that this is brewed with 3711, but the flavours from the yeast are relatively restrained (and therefore fermented at the lower end of its range?). This allows the wine to share the stage. Dry and crisp finish. Moreish

Appearance
Hazy straw / peach colour. Thin white head. Very appealing

Overall impression
A very drinkable, light and refreshing beer. I have to be honest, I didn't think this would work, but I couldn't tell where the beer finished and the wine started (if that makes sense) because the flavours really compliment each other. Well conceived and executed. I would have perhaps preferred a little more carbonation, but that is a minor detail and I really enjoyed this. athumb..
IMG_20190301_203431385.jpg

Thanks for the review and well spotted, it is 3711 fermented at 23° :hat:

I agree about the carbonation, I wasn't sure if there would be any fermentable sugars in the wine so I purposefully primed a little lower just in case.

Also thanks for the swap, I have a lemon and lime Berliner on the go at the minute if you fancy another swap in the future.

I drank mine last night.

Aroma - peach and a little tropical fruit from the hops were a lovely blend with the wine which was noticeable. Classic saison characteristics also there.

Appearance - bright gold/light orange colour with fairly pronounced haze as had been flagged! Thick white head stuck around very nicely.

Flavour - I thought the wine went very nicely with the hops and the yeast character, making an overall refreshing drink with a slightly drying acidity from the wine.

Mouthfeel - spritzy but less carbonated than some saisons. Felt like it finished pretty dry which worked well.

Overall a really interesting and enjoyable drink. The yeast, hops and wine all brought something to the table and blended nicely. I think you said you added more wine than your initial intention and it was quite pronounced but I don’t think that’s a bad thing especially when experimenting with a new ingredient. Would be interesting to try this with WLP644 in the blend like the original Tonsemeire recipe to add a little tartness but it’s an enjoyable and complex beer as it is.

Oh, and it must’ve slipped down pretty quickly because after the 660ml bottle you sent me I felt decidedly ‘happy’!

Attachments

• 4D61087C-7EA5-4FD3-A046-73CC6C9C9103.jpeg
    4D61087C-7EA5-4FD3-A046-73CC6C9C9103.jpeg
    12.7 KB · Views: 209
Thanks for the review and well spotted, it is 3711 fermented at 23° :hat:

I agree about the carbonation, I wasn't sure if there would be any fermentable sugars in the wine so I purposefully primed a little lower just in case.

Also thanks for the swap, I have a lemon and lime Berliner on the go at the minute if you fancy another swap in the future.
I'd love to Steve, that sounds like a great beer. I'm planning a wit and lime Saison, but don't have anything else really worth sharing at the moment.

@Ajhutch thanks for the comments. Yeah I think the 644 would have added a nice complexity to this, I'll definitely be revisiting this one.

Latest posts

Back