Anyone up for some bulk hops?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fury_tea

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm getting low on hops again and was wondering if anyone fancied a group buy?

I have a vacuum sealer and wouldn't mind being the buyer/distribution guy this time. 250g bags seem easiest to sort out.

Looking at the usuals (Mosaic, Cascade, Citra, etc) and maybe some from the rotation here: https://www.charlesfaram.co.uk/1kg-hop-pack-prices-december-2020/ maybe Jester, Waimea and Mandarina Bavaria?

Depending on what the group wants to get it'd be around 30 quid for 1kg (4x 250g bags) delivered I think?

I'd be looking at buying them in the next couple of weeks (before my next brew day if possible) so let me know if you're interested and I'll jump on it.

Cheers

Hi FT

You may have noticed some threads on buying bulk malt which I have started, a few of us have worked together to get things moving

Here is the latest one

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/jan-21-malt-group-buy-time-to-order.91846/
We are about to buy 40 X 25kg bags

Had it not been for Brexit we would have been offering 3kg bags (broken down from 25kg bags - hence same price /kg)

We are also considering the idea of adding hops to our "offer" sooner or later

Obviously, it's all very easier if you can work on a collection only basis, but the postage on a 3Kg bag of malt or 100g of hops is not too onerous - still making the idea of bulk buy attractive

Have you looked at these suppliers as well?

Brookhouse Hops and Brewers Select

Whereabouts in the country are you?

Happy to work together on this if you wish

I can repost it on our Bulk Malt Buy thread?

For me personally I am an ale man and so would be interested in English Hops

Great thread

Hi FT

You may have noticed some threads on buying bulk malt which I have started, a few of us have worked together to get things moving

Here is the latest one

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/jan-21-malt-group-buy-time-to-order.91846/
We are about to buy 40 X 25kg bags

Had it not been for Brexit we would have been offering 3kg bags (broken down from 25kg bags - hence same price /kg)

We are also considering the idea of adding hops to our "offer" sooner or later

Obviously, it's all very easier if you can work on a collection only basis, but the postage on a 3Kg bag of malt or 100g of hops is not too onerous - still making the idea of bulk buy attractive

Have you looked at these suppliers as well?

Brookhouse Hops and Brewers Select

Whereabouts in the country are you?

Happy to work together on this if you wish

I can repost it on our Bulk Malt Buy thread?

For me personally I am an ale man and so would be interested in English Hops

Great thread

Yeah sure repost to your thread. I am in North Liverpool and obviously if anyone is in the area and wants to knock a few quid off by picking up we could do a Covid safe transfer at the front door (maybe do a beer swap as well :laugh8:)

I was looking at your thread but I don't drive, I used to live in Crewe so only up the road from you as well there's no way of me getting a large bag, especially in this clime.

Re: the hops, Royal mail 2nd class postage medium parcel up to 1kg is £5.20 so I was thinking if I pack the bags slightly light i can keep it under the 1kg and make it slightly cheaper for everyone.

Open to suggestions for the hops, I just don't want to be left with loads of hops I (or anyone else) don't want so obviously the more popular ones are going to get ordered. I was just looking at get er brewed 1kg bags and charles faram but again, open to suggestions. Obviously better to keep the number of suppliers down to keep overall postage down though.

Yeah sure repost to your thread. I am in North Liverpool and obviously if anyone is in the area and wants to knock a few quid off by picking up we could do a Covid safe transfer at the front door (maybe do a beer swap as well :laugh8:)

I was looking at your thread but I don't drive, I used to live in Crewe so only up the road from you as well there's no way of me getting a large bag, especially in this clime.

Re: the hops, Royal mail 2nd class postage medium parcel up to 1kg is £5.20 so I was thinking if I pack the bags slightly light i can keep it under the 1kg and make it slightly cheaper for everyone.

Open to suggestions for the hops, I just don't want to be left with loads of hops I (or anyone else) don't want so obviously the more popular ones are going to get ordered. I was just looking at get er brewed 1kg bags and charles faram but again, open to suggestions. Obviously better to keep the number of suppliers down to keep overall postage down though.
Perfect, will respond properly Ilater when back at home

@furry_tea

if you wnat to get the cost down further upto 1kg from myhermes is from £2.90 drop off ( usually a local convivence store) or £3.62 to collect from your door. Less than 5kg goes up to £5.39 or £6.04 respectively.

I know my Hermes historically have had poor service but I've been using them the last year or two to collect various items like corneys and they have been spot on and cheap, they are trackable and insurable should anything happen.

I have just bought a few KG of Hops but will certainly be something of interest at a later date.

Cjibbo

I'd be up for this in principle. Although I have just bought a load of new world hops from crossmyloof so I may be sorted for a while

Hi FT

You used to live in Crewe and I used to work for Sefton Council at Crosby Town Hall and then Bootle

The key question on my mind is which hops would people buy

I will post it on the Group Malt Buy thread and see if we gain people's views on which

As you want to go ahead quickly - let's see what response we receive.

I have a few hops I would buy i.e. Cascade, Chinook and Willamette at this stage

Those you suggest are fine by me and any 'NEIPA' like hops like Citra, Mosaic, Galaxy, Azacca, Simcoe, Amarillo, El Dorado are all on my wishlist. They are expensive at the 100g level (but also more expensive at the 1kg level too so would push the overall price up though). Also lager hops like Saaz and Hallertau.
If people want to mix and match that's fine and if you want more/less than 1kg that's fine too just let me know (multiples of 250g).

Let's see what the uptake is like after a week and I'll make a decision then

Get your votes in

I would be interested if price worked out good.

Where you buying from. You will be looking at buying 5kg at a minimum from most places and some may not have the exotic hops.

Royal mail parcel under 2kg is £3.10. Slightly cheaper if you pay online.

I would be interested if price worked out good.

Where you buying from. You will be looking at buying 5kg at a minimum from most places and some may not have the exotic hops.

Royal mail parcel under 2kg is £3.10. Slightly cheaper if you pay online.

Loads of places are doing 1kg packs and they work out an OK amount cheaper than buying in 100g packs, but 1kg is a bit too much for one person doing 20L batches, unless they like loads of the same single hop or frequently brew NEIPAs with 100s of grams of each hop. I've had a cursory look and it works out around 20-30% cheaper than buying 100g packs, depending what hops. Stock looks ok for most of the ones mentioned up to now but might need to go to more than 1 supplier to get everything.

Just looking at the website and "Small Parcels not exceeding: Length: 45cm Width: 35cm Depth: 16cm Weight limit: 2kg"
Should be able to pack them into that size so yeah that looks good.

All this info is just estimation at the moment.

Seen a pretty good deal on 2016 Ekuanot leaf hops (not going to be the freshest, I know) if anyone is interested in that? £30 for 5kg which is ridiculously cheap.

I'd be interested in principle depending on price, mainly Cascade, Citra, Mosaic, Galaxy, Simcoe, Amarillo and the usual New World suspects.

Just checked CML's prices for 900g pellets including postage: Cascade £20.75, Citra £47.70 (how much?!), Chinook £20.50 which don't seem too shoddy.

I'd prefer leaf hops though.