Anyone up for some bulk hops?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If there is the demand, I would be interested in some English hops, Goldings, Challenger and First Gold.

Loads of places are doing 1kg packs and they work out an OK amount cheaper than buying in 100g packs, but 1kg is a bit too much for one person doing 20L batches, unless they like loads of the same single hop or frequently brew NEIPAs with 100s of grams of each hop. I've had a cursory look and it works out around 20-30% cheaper than buying 100g packs, depending what hops. Stock looks ok for most of the ones mentioned up to now but might need to go to more than 1 supplier to get everything.

Just looking at the website and "Small Parcels not exceeding: Length: 45cm Width: 35cm Depth: 16cm Weight limit: 2kg"
Should be able to pack them into that size so yeah that looks good.

All this info is just estimation at the moment.

Seen a pretty good deal on 2016 Ekuanot leaf hops (not going to be the freshest, I know) if anyone is interested in that? £30 for 5kg which is ridiculously cheap.
Cool. When I looked in the past it was 5kg minimum. What sites you looking at?

Just looking at the first responses, and it strikes me that it is so much harder than corralling demand for malt

Basically there are a small number of base malts which everyone uses, although we are buying 40 sacks this time, there are only 6 different varieties in the order

There is, of course, no such a thing as a base hop

Hops used depend on the style of beer you want to brew

Would it help to narrow it down to styles of brewing

I.e. we are looking to create some bulk buying of hops for English Beers, or IPA's or German Lager

I wonder if the remit is just too broad

Just looking at the first responses, and it strikes me that it is so much harder than corralling demand for malt

Basically there are a small number of base malts which everyone uses, although we are buying 40 sacks this time, there are only 6 different varieties in the order

There is, of course, no such a thing as a base hop

Hops used depend on the style of beer you want to brew

Would it help to narrow it down to styles of brewing

I.e. we are looking to create some bulk buying of hops for English Beers, or IPA's or German Lager

I wonder if the remit is just too broad

"If you build it, they will come.", who said that? Bob the Builder?

To be honest I only need 3 people to get on board to split a few bags between 4 so not necessarily looking to get huge numbers, although I don't mind that either as it will likely expand the range on offer and the more people involved the cheaper the initial postage is.

Last time someone did this I ended up with 6x 250g bags for about 40 quid, American, English and German, I think, so there's still hope.

@Leon103 looking at these sites and a few others as potential suppliers, again, depends what people want and what is in stock:
https://www.brewersselect.co.uk/https://www.geterbrewed.com/https://www.charlesfaram.co.uk/

"If you build it, they will come.", who said that? Bob the Builder?

To be honest I only need 3 people to get on board to split a few bags between 4 so not necessarily looking to get huge numbers, although I don't mind that either as it will likely expand the range on offer and the more people involved the cheaper the initial postage is.

Last time someone did this I ended up with 6x 250g bags for about 40 quid, American, English and German, I think, so there's still hope.

@Leon103 looking at these sites and a few others as potential suppliers, again, depends what people want and what is in stock:
https://www.brewersselect.co.uk/https://www.geterbrewed.com/https://www.charlesfaram.co.uk/

Ok if you are going for US hops I may be interested.
Brewers select seem high postage. Charles seem only to sell to trade.

Ok if you are going for US hops I may be interested.
Brewers select seem high postage. Charles seem only to sell to trade.

High postage is lowered if more people get involved, and depending on what is needed for a business account, that might not be a problem because I have a friend with a business, so let's say no more.

Stop trying to pick holes in it and let's just keep voting on what people want and see where this goes?

I have been ordering bulk hops from geb, depending on price would be down for 1kg of each, citra simco Sabro.

High postage is lowered if more people get involved, and depending on what is needed for a business account, that might not be a problem because I have a friend with a business, so let's say no more.

Stop trying to pick holes in it and let's just keep voting on what people want and see where this goes?
Not trying to pick holes. Already said I would be interested but like to know the full details in advance. One process I am trying to implement is having the freshest ingredients and I think that adds to quality even if it costs more. Hence more questions.

By the way brewers select charge **** loads. You are better off trying to create an account elsewhere.

Not trying to pick holes. Already said I would be interested but like to know the full details in advance. One process I am trying to implement is having the freshest ingredients and I think that adds to quality even if it costs more. Hence more questions.

By the way brewers select charge **** loads. You are better off trying to create an account elsewhere.

Thanks for the info, but they were 1 of the 3 companies I _suggested_ because you wanted to nail me down to a company. Like I've already said I'm completely open to suggestions if you guys have some better ones. I'm not in this to rip anyone off or make big bucks I just get some cheaper hops for myself and others so if that sounds up your street, great!

And of course the full details will be explained in advance before purchase. Trying to make this a group effort with votes for the most popular hops, let's try to keep it to that if possible and I'll tally it up next week and we can make some decisions then.

I will say that if you have very specific needs, maybe a group buy might not be the best place for you.

I'm interested mate, definitely 500g of Mosaic & Simcoe. Depending on what else is available I'd more than likely get more.

Cheers

So from what's popular above as well as what's available I'm looking at:

Cascade US
Citra US
Chinook US
Hüll Melon
Amarillo
Mandarina Bavaria
Challenger
EKG
Saaz (whoops - looks like they didn't have this in stock)

They're all 2019 season hops and mostly T90.
Depending what you you choose price will be around £20-£35 for 4x 250g packs including P&P. The hops will be vacuum sealed in sous vide bags.

I haven't actually pulled the trigger on anything yet but some of those above I will probably only get 1kg of so you might want to get your orders in quick. Send me a PM with what you're interested in and I'll come back with a quote asap.

Last edited: