Landlord.
Reaction score
East and West Grimblestbottom under the rye

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have checked my youngs yeast nutrient and it says "To ensure rapid and complete fermentation of wine" are there ones advertised for beer?

Reaction score
I chuck in half tsp of yeast nutrient to all my brews. whether it makes any difference I have no idea. :whistle: But I do it. I'll bet the stuff sold for wine is exactly the same composition as any of the same brand sold for beer.

Reaction score
I chuck in half tsp of yeast nutrient to all my brews. whether it makes any difference I have no idea. :whistle: But I do it. I'll bet the stuff sold for wine is exactly the same composition as any of the same brand sold for beer.
+1

I use the Youngs wine stuff. It just gives the yeast a helping hand. Whilst I can't say for sure that it makes a difference, I've had hardly any stuck brews since I started using it, and now use it every brew as I think it makes a difference.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Reaction score
You can get dedicated beer yeast nutrient from the homebrew company....lallemand danstar do one but it ain't cheap... £4.25 for 10g or £73 for 500g! They also do some others a yeast vit and a liquid addition too.

Cheers

Clint

BeerCat

Landlord.
Reaction score
East and West Grimblestbottom under the rye
Thanks for all the replies. I have found this by Wyeast but its not cheap either but will order some and give it a go. http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Wyeast_Yeast_Nutrient.html I use Youngs nutrient in my mead every few days if its high strength and its drinkable in a few months. The however contains Diammonium Phosphate while the Wyeast contains zinc and other things. Some people write that its more essential if you are reusing the yeast. Interesting as i would like to try drying some top cropped yeast sometime.

Dutto

Dutto
Reaction score

dan125

BIAB brewer
Reaction score
I use the wyeast nutrient in my starters and brews, mainly because I've been re-using yeast by over building starters & keeping some back for next time. You only need a few grams in each brew so it goes a long way

LarryF

Brew Numpty
Reaction score
I always use 1tsp of the Wilko yeast nutrient. You can make your own by boiling and crushing raisins and using the water off them, I did this when I made Craig's prison hooch a couple of years back and that kicked off very nicely.

marlon

Reaction score
+2 - l do the same. I also use a pinch of it when I'm making up a yeast starter. No idea if it makes any difference. :-?

Deadhead

Female Brewer
Reaction score
I add when I make starters. Not sure if it really makes a difference or not, but can't hurt, I figure?

TheQuokka

Reaction score
I'm with deadhead - not just because I like the name and location, haven't needed it in main brew for years, but anything to get the starter going quicker is a good idea. That old race of good yeast against all the baddies!

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the Yeast book (or it could be another one I have) says you don't need nutrient if you're brewing AG as you have everything the yeast needs within the fresh wort. I always use a little bit in my starters, it's the Wilko stuff which says it's for wine but it seems to do the job.

Latest posts