Anyone waiting for Hopcat?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered the 65l version a few weeks ago, they emailed to say it was on a ship from China so I'm patiently checking it's location every 3 hours 😂

It's quite an upgrade from the Brooklyn brew kit I have been using.

@Coomzy where did you get your malt from?

I got it from geterbrewed. Bought 25kg of pilsner malt and then a load of special malts as they can be bought in 500g/1kg and they dont charge a premium for smaller weights. I have my first 4 brews planned and all the stuff in for them which will save on the postage in the long run. Delivery was just over a week I think.

I had never heard of HopCat until reading this thread, but as I am setting myself up for going all grain brewing......drum roll.....I'm interested! Is the 45l fine for knocking out 20-25L batches of beer?

Mark 3 version arrives in August, so I might as well go straight for that. Did you get yours from hopcat.eu or is there a better option?

I had never heard of HopCat until reading this thread, but as I am setting myself up for going all grain brewing......drum roll.....I'm interested! Is the 45l fine for knocking out 20-25L batches of beer?

Mark 3 version arrives in August, so I might as well go straight for that. Did you get yours from hopcat.eu or is there a better option?

I think you can only buy from them. You will easily do 20-25 litres in there. 30+

Yeah, or take a look at Brewzilla too, or robobrew. All really similar.

I chose Hopcat because they seem like the plucky underdog! 😂

I chose Hopcat as it was the only one delivering in May. May turned into June and then July but I still think its worth the wait. Making 37l in a batch really appealed to me and all the stuff that's included makes it good value. I plumped for the conical fermenter too

Anyone wanting something like a hopcat but does not want to wait months, I bought a klarstein mundschenk at the beginning of the month and it arrived in a week. I think these devices are very similar
Not similar, the same. Don't bother with the hopspider, nor the whirlpool arm, the overflow pipe isn't really necessary, especially when you have done a few brews. Don't use the top screen and stir regularly to achieve a better efficiency.
001.JPG

Strike water 33 litres.

Not similar, the same. Don't bother with the hopspider, nor the whirlpool arm, the overflow pipe isn't really necessary, especially when you have done a few brews. Don't use the top screen and stir regularly to achieve a better efficiency.
View attachment 27987
Strike water 33 litres.
That's really interesting - so you use neither overflow pipe, just leave the white cap on throughout the mash? Doesn't the top screen help the sparge though?

That's really interesting - so you use neither overflow pipe, just leave the white cap on throughout the mash? Doesn't the top screen help the sparge though?
I have been using mine for over 3 years, my Braumeister for 9 years, once you get to know the ins and outs they are easy to use.
The hole in the bottom screen where the overflow pipe was is blanked off, never used the top screen, the grain bed is filter enough. And I don't sparge. With the overflow pipe and top screen out of the way I can stir every 10 to 15 minutes, then no more stirring for the last 1/2 hour or so (during mash out when I add my non fermentables) allowing the smaller bits of grist in the wort to settle out on top of the grain bed. I also keep the choke of the return pipe roughly half way.

Hmm interesting I am really interested in the hpocat 45l however I am put off by the fact it won't be here until november if history repeats itself!!

I do no spare now on the 50l pot and burner and get 70-75% efficiency not too bothered about efficinecy more consistentcy.

Do you need a seperate vessel for sparging on this anyway?

Just for info, these are not all exactly the same anymore, similar but may come from different manufacturer

Guten the original manufacturer started with the machine then branded ACE some years back, they developed and improved the machines which are now sold today under many different brand names which are mostly the same, including ours, branded BrewDevil. Some of these brands from same manufacturer have some minor differences, but are mostly the same

Think the Facebook groups mentioned previously may have some content with machine names and country etc. although may not be up to date

A company copied Gutens brewing machine products more recently and they supply HopCat with their machines now. Similar but these are different manufacturer

9 weeks on and it arrives today. Can't wait to get a brew on!! To be fair to them they have paid for next day delivery so once in the UK they couldn't have done anymore. Wish they had been a bit more transparent early on but hopefully if it's as good as it looks it'll be quickly forgotten

Back