Anywhere in UK selling a kit like this...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r-evans

Reaction score
I really like this setup but am struggling to find any similar products in the UK.

https://www.clawhammersupply.com/collections/all-products/products/starter-home-brewing-system-biab
My previous go at home brewing was a 3 pot system but I really want to have a go at using something like this, just the one pot with a grain basket, recirculating pump and an element rather than gas. Please note, I am not interested in a Grainfather.

The few I have found in the UK look very poor quality and a waste of money.

Anybody know of a well built system available here?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-03-26 at 09.40.45.png
    Screenshot 2020-03-26 at 09.40.45.png
    210.5 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
On first view, I though wow that looks cheap, then realised that it was just a pot with an inner grain basket, to put onto an external heat source. The equivalent version with a 240V element, controller and pump was $1,500.

I am assuming that the systems that you have found in the UK are things like the Brewdevil, Klarstein and Bulldog Brewer, which all look very similar and do look cheap and flimsy, but many forumites swear by them. David Heath, now a forumite has done a number of youtube videos comparing different systems, this may be a good place to start.

On first view, I though wow that looks cheap, then realised that it was just a pot with an inner grain basket, to put onto an external heat source. The equivalent version with a 240V element, controller and pump was $1,500.

I am assuming that the systems that you have found in the UK are things like the Brewdevil, Klarstein and Bulldog Brewer, which all look very similar and do look cheap and flimsy, but many forumites swear by them. David Heath, now a forumite has done a number of youtube videos comparing different systems, this may be a good place to start.

I definitely wouldn’t say my Brewdevil is cheap and flimsy (bottom of the malt pipe aside but I will eventually get the upgraded version of this from Angel HB). I was pleasantly surprised by the quality given I’d been using an Ace boiler BIAB system previously and was aware that it was the same Chinese company making for both.

I have a klarstein fullhorn biab kettle, best 149 quid i ever spent makes great beer, loads of systems on here, robbo brew, klarstein, and others, all cheap quality kit but they do the job and people swear by them, have a look on you tube at folks using them :beer1:

Didn't ever know about those videos, but now have something to do with my lunch break.

Yesterday my brand new Klarstein Brauheld Pro 35 litre system arrived. I hope I'm not disappointed after watching David Heath's video!

photo_2020-03-26_11-58-33.jpg

photo_2020-03-26_11-58-24.jpg

Thanks, I'll take a look.

I did think the one I linked is quite pricey, but then when I had a look around UK sites and it looked like a decent 10G kettle would be around £150, then when you add a grain basket (£60ish) and the few other little bits, it didn't seem too bad and looked much better quality than these UK items.

I'll check the vid anyway see how they compare. Cheers 👍

Ok, just a couple minutes into the video and I realise I didn't clarify something.

Bear with me, I know I am being very picky here....

The all in one systems are good for what they do, but I prefer the upgradability of using a decent kettle with an element. As said before I previously used a 3 pot system and half of the fun for me was the connectors, the hoses, etc..

I'm not really a fan of the Grainfather and similar as it just doesn't seem as fun, i.e. you buy the system and you don't need much else. I want something I can build on.

So what I am looking for is a good quality kettle with a grain basket ideally made specifically for that kettle. I'm not interested in the controller, I will just use an inkbird as I did before.

I just really like the look of the brew day with the Clawhammer setup...

I particularly like the welded ports on their kettles...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-03-26 at 11.21.58.png
    Screenshot 2020-03-26 at 11.21.58.png
    173.1 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
I really like this setup but am struggling to find any similar products in the UK.

https://www.clawhammersupply.com/collections/all-products/products/starter-home-brewing-system-biab
My previous go at home brewing was a 3 pot system but I really want to have a go at using something like this, just the one pot with a grain basket, recirculating pump and an element rather than gas. Please note, I am not interested in a Grainfather.

The few I have found in the UK look very poor quality and a waste of money.

Anybody know of a well built system available here?
Built a similar system around the SS Brewtech 10 gallon pot, added the grainfather controller and pump, and also updated it with a spray nozzle for recirculation, I would say total cost around £400 plus, but spread out over several months, will be getting it out from brewing friday, so will take some pictures. after all this time makes me realise BIAB with one pot and a bag is probably best for most folks. just my 2 cents.

Built a similar system around the SS Brewtech 10 gallon pot, added the grainfather controller and pump, and also updated it with a spray nozzle for recirculation, I would say total cost around £400 plus, but spread out over several months, will be getting it out from brewing friday, so will take some pictures. after all this time makes me realise BIAB with one pot and a bag is probably best for most folks. just my 2 cents.

Cheers, I'd appreciate it. I agree, I always thought 3 vessels were better as that's how the pros do it, but I now know you can get identical results with BIAB and it takes up less space/is easier to use. Although, I never like the idea of using an actual bag, hence why I'd like a steel grain basket.

Last edited:
Cheers, I'd appreciate it. I agree, I always thought 3 vessels were better as that's how the pros do it, but I now know you can get identical results with BIAB and it takes up less space/is easier to use. Although, I never like the idea of using an actual bag, hence why I'd like a steel grain basket.
I use both, I have a mesh basket and i use the bag just to make clean up better and can give it a bit of a squeeze, the mesh does have a habit of getting full of tiny little pieces of grain.

I use both, I have a mesh basket and i use the bag just to make clean up better and can give it a bit of a squeeze, the mesh does have a habit of getting full of tiny little pieces of grain.

Will keep in mind when I am looking at grain baskets 👍

Just realised I put this in the incorrect sub-forum, can a mod move to equipment please?

I know it's a pricey bit of kit, but I love my 20l Braumeister. Rock solid German build quality and can be 'tweaked' as you see fit. The original tap did have a slight 'weeping' issue when the liquor/wort is cold, but I think they may have fixed this.

I've made many brews with it and am still happy with it.

Still interested in seeing your setup, particularly which element, grain basket and spray nozzle you use?

I just pulled the trigger on a 15 gallon SS Brewtech kettle, a little bigger than I was going to go but it was a good price.

Still interested in seeing your setup, particularly which element, grain basket and spray nozzle you use?

I just pulled the trigger on a 15 gallon SS Brewtech kettle, a little bigger than I was going to go but it was a good price.
Hi, Good purchase, will have the brew set up out on saturday, most of the parts came on import, spray nozzle and basket came from China and element came from europe. Will make a list tomorrow and post it up.

Back