APA with Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I really enjoyed my last beer that I brewed with Kveik. I have some in the fridge that I top cropped (Hornindial) so I decided to brew another APA.
CB19E4BD-6F4A-4B31-A9EA-5340338AE566.jpeg

Brewed using BIAB with a Peco boiler.

Recipe for 22l is:

5kg Extra pale Maris Otter
500g Cara red (@Fireside Ales Homebrewery recommended this malt)

Mashed for 60 mins @67C (67.3 at start, this dropped to 66.8 at the end)

10g of Galaxy @60m

Whirlfloc @10m

15g each of Citra, Mosaic & Cascade @10m

65g each Citra & Mosaic whirlpool @80C for 30m.
CF95D1BB-1C2A-4E8B-B601-3FD23AFF41DA.jpeg

I wanted to try the Citra and Mosaic pairing, hence the hops. I decided to go big on the late additions and skip the dry hop on this one for a couple reasons:

1.After trying my last APA before adding the dry hops, and then again afterwards I wasn’t convinced that they brought too much to the table, the beer had a bit of a weird taste that took a couple of weeks to mellow.
2. This will cut 3days off the fermentation time. I am hoping that this will be ready (well aware it won’t be at its best) for the weekend after next (9 days).

Stated measuring out the water at 6-30 am.
Added a heaped teaspoon of gypsum, a campden tablet and 25ml of CRS.

Heated water to 72C strike temperature ( only did 70C on my last brew and the mash temp was a bit too low), doughed in, wrapped in a sleeping bag and left for 60m.

Took out the bag, chucked it in a FV and poured over 5.5l of water at 70 ish degrees. Gave it a stir, squeezed the life out of the bag and added to boil.

Ended up with 29l pre boil volume with a gravity of 1.046. This was slightly below the recipe estimate of 1.048, but not much to worry about.

boiled for an hour and added the hops as above. Chilled with the IC down to 80C and added the whirlpool hops and gave them a good stir. Left for 30m.

Chilled down to 42 degrees and transferred into the FV.
FE1B37AB-96BB-4E10-BEC9-9C0B1CB6E0E0.jpeg

Ended up with 22l ( an extra litre thanks to @cushyno for the tip) with a gravity of 1.053. Again a touch below the recipe estimate but will turn out between 5.5% and 6%, depending on yeast attenuation.

My last batch with this yeast dropped to 1.008, bit this one has had a higher mash temp so not sure how low it will go.

Added a tablespoon of the Kveik, wrapped up in a camping mat and sleeping bag and left it to ferment. I didn’t bother with temp control with the last batch and it worked fine so not going to bother with this one either. Means the brew fridge is free for when I brew my stout.
70900B6C-AC87-4622-B3E0-E740D907E123.jpeg

Was all packed up and cleaned for 11am!

Brilliant stuff isn’t it? Complete lack of temperature control, crazy fast fermentation and still makes lovely beer! 😀

Just checked this, the airlock is bubbling like crazy already after just a few hours.

The brew before last I used MJ M44 where there was a two day lag time before anything happened!

Don’t know now, I pitched at 39C, wrapped it up with a roll mat and a sleeping bag and just let it do it’s own thing.

didn’t put the inkbird in as I’venot bothered with temp control

I didn't dry hop and I blast carbed it overnight in a corny but still quite impressive nonetheless. It probably would have benefitted from a week to drop clearer but I don't mind hazy APA's

Opened up the FV to crop some yeast.
35 hours in and it’s dropped to 1.032.
I know you’re meant to crop this yeast at 41 hours but I’m not getting up in the middle of the night.
C6695653-85C1-4031-9FB3-2C87D01019CE.jpeg

Still sounds like a jacuzzi and I got a decent amount of yeast. 😀

Just took a gravity reading as it’s been in 5 days now I thought it would be finished.

SH is 1.014, and there’s still a thin Krausen on top so I think it’s got a few more points to drop.

Had a taste, it’s really nice, a bit malty but in a good way. This might change though if it ferments a bit more?
Doesn’t seem as bitter as my last brew, even though in theory they have the same IBU.

kegged this afternoon after cold crashing since yesterday evening, carbed in the keg by cranking up the pressure and shaking.

Poured the first pint about half hour after kegging.

it’s really nice, a really strong malty taste, quite biscuity. Hides the alcohol really well, and that Cara red has a lovely taste.

if I brew this again, I’ll up the bitterness. In theory it’s 50 IBU, but a lot of this was from late additions and I’m not sure they’ve translated into reality. There’s lots of malt flavour but not much in the way of hop flavour
4E7A114D-F148-4DD6-A665-7AB9E9AB5A44.jpeg

9 days grain to glass and it’s a very nice pint. I’d imagine it would get better for a couple of weeks conditioning but it’s not going to last that long.

a touch hazy but that’s popular these days isn’t it? 😂

Last edited:
kegged this afternoon after cold crashing since yesterday evening, carbed in the keg by cranking up the pressure and shaking.

Poured the first pint about half hour after kegging.

it’s really nice, a really strong malty taste, quite biscuity. Hides the alcohol really well, and that Cara red has a lovely taste.

if I brew this again, I’ll up the bitterness. In theory it’s 50 IBU, but a lot of this was from late additions and I’m not sure they’ve translated into reality. There’s lots of malt flavour but not much in the way of hop flavour
I had a couple of my GH APA with Kveik this afternoon that I kegged yesterday and blast carbed and have almost no hop aroma or taste so I'm probably going to add the late additions as a dry hop next time, don't get me wrong tho' still a decent drink but not a hoppy pale.

I had a couple of my GH APA with Kveik this afternoon that I kegged yesterday and blast carbed and have almost no hop aroma or taste so I'm probably going to add the late additions as a dry hop next time, don't get me wrong tho' still a decent drink but not a hoppy pale.

going to do the same I think next brew. It’s a very nice beer so im going to continue with the APAs.

only knocked out the dry hops as I wanted it ready for this evening.

I read on here (I think) that others have had the same experience with the late hops. Maybe something about the vigorous kveik fermentation stripping hop aroma out?

Either way, I’d recommend the Cara red malt, it’s an absolutely lovely flavour.

Hi,

I really enjoyed my last beer that I brewed with Kveik. I have some in the fridge that I top cropped (Hornindial) so I decided to brew another APA.
View attachment 30467

Brewed using BIAB with a Peco boiler.

Recipe for 22l is:

5kg Extra pale Maris Otter
500g Cara red (@Fireside Ales Homebrewery recommended this malt)

Mashed for 60 mins @67C (67.3 at start, this dropped to 66.8 at the end)

10g of Galaxy @60m

Whirlfloc @10m

15g each of Citra, Mosaic & Cascade @10m

65g each Citra & Mosaic whirlpool @80C for 30m.
View attachment 30466

I wanted to try the Citra and Mosaic pairing, hence the hops. I decided to go big on the late additions and skip the dry hop on this one for a couple reasons:

1.After trying my last APA before adding the dry hops, and then again afterwards I wasn’t convinced that they brought too much to the table, the beer had a bit of a weird taste that took a couple of weeks to mellow.
2. This will cut 3days off the fermentation time. I am hoping that this will be ready (well aware it won’t be at its best) for the weekend after next (9 days).

Stated measuring out the water at 6-30 am.
Added a heaped teaspoon of gypsum, a campden tablet and 25ml of CRS.

Heated water to 72C strike temperature ( only did 70C on my last brew and the mash temp was a bit too low), doughed in, wrapped in a sleeping bag and left for 60m.

Took out the bag, chucked it in a FV and poured over 5.5l of water at 70 ish degrees. Gave it a stir, squeezed the life out of the bag and added to boil.

Ended up with 29l pre boil volume with a gravity of 1.046. This was slightly below the recipe estimate of 1.048, but not much to worry about.

boiled for an hour and added the hops as above. Chilled with the IC down to 80C and added the whirlpool hops and gave them a good stir. Left for 30m.

Chilled down to 42 degrees and transferred into the FV. View attachment 30465
Ended up with 22l ( an extra litre thanks to @cushyno for the tip) with a gravity of 1.053. Again a touch below the recipe estimate but will turn out between 5.5% and 6%, depending on yeast attenuation.

My last batch with this yeast dropped to 1.008, bit this one has had a higher mash temp so not sure how low it will go.

Added a tablespoon of the Kveik, wrapped up in a camping mat and sleeping bag and left it to ferment. I didn’t bother with temp control with the last batch and it worked fine so not going to bother with this one either. Means the brew fridge is free for when I brew my stout.View attachment 30464

Was all packed up and cleaned for 11am!
How did the brew turn out? Sounds great

How did the brew turn out? Sounds great
Came out really good thanks.
The carared gave it a really nice malty biscuity flavour. I really enjoyed drinking it. It was 9 days grain to glass and then 5 days from keg full to keg empty 😂🤪🍻

If I did it again though I’d make it a touch more bitter and either use a different yeast or move some of the late hops to a dry hop. It wasn’t as hoppy as I expected considering the amount of hops in there.

Came out really good thanks.
The carared gave it a really nice malty biscuity flavour. I really enjoyed drinking it. It was 9 days grain to glass and then 5 days from keg full to keg empty 😂🤪🍻

If I did it again though I’d make it a touch more bitter and either use a different yeast or move some of the late hops to a dry hop. It wasn’t as hoppy as I expected considering the amount of hops in there.
Sounds great.
I would definitely go for a dry hop if you want that punchy hop experience. Glad it was an enjoyable brew. 🍺🍺😁

Latest posts

Back