APA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Rod APA's do have crystal style malts in them to give a bit of backbone. If you use Melanoidin it will give you the high malt profile in my lay man terms I see it as a concentrated high malt taste.
You can just use crystals or a lesser amount of melanoidin to get the pale ale backbone you are looking for of the American style or both.
I think the most famous one is Sierra Nevada so if you look at similar clones it will point you in the right direction recipe wise

Sounds good Rod I too use Melanoidin and Carapils albeit in small amounts in quite few brews together and the hops will be good too

Based on what I have read, melanoidin, biscuit and amber malts are very similar (someone please correct me if I have been mislead). I often use 200g (~4%) of biscuit malt in one of my APA recipes together with either flaked or torrified wheat (~7%). It gives a very pleasant nutty/malty taste without adding the sweetish caramel flavours that you often get with crystal malts.

The beers side by side, to be honest I find mine has more mouthfeel mine has Munich melonoidin and carapils in small amounts
7966FEB9-D9F5-48E0-97A2-3E22AB4811F4.jpeg

Latest posts

Back