Apfeleiswein?

Discussion in 'Wine & Cider Discussions' started by pomme homme, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Dec 1, 2016 #1

pomme homme

pomme homme

pomme homme

Has anyone ever tried making a cider equivalent of eiswein? This year, because of other commitments, December has arrived and I haven't yet started making my cider. Tuesday morning, after a cold, easterly wind and a hard frost, the apples that had fallen overnight were frozen solid. I know that there are the obvious practical difficulties - and apples and grapes are very different fruit - but it's very tempting to shake down the remaining apples at dusk, leave them on the ground to freeze overnight, and then scrat and press them as soon as possible after dawn on the following morning!

2. Dec 1, 2016 #2

Tau

Tau

Tau

Regular. Supporting Member

Not sure that the frozen apple will make much difference to your cider, still has to warm up a little to ferment. Unsure that freezing changes the sugars much, unlike frozen grape on the vine.

3. Dec 7, 2016 #3

tonyhibbett

tonyhibbett

tonyhibbett

Regular. Supporting Member

As a rule, you get better extraction from defrosted frozen fruit and this may be a factor in eiswein, as well as the fact that the grapes have been given the longest possible time to fully ripen. I once picked cabernet sauvignon grapes in Kent about this time of year. They weren't frozen but may have had a touch of frost. The wine was excellent.

4. Nov 18, 2017 #4

pomme homme

pomme homme

pomme homme