Apple beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dyke Busters

Reaction score
Used to live near some apple trees, never enough juice to make a cider but I used to mix it with a wheat beer kit and added either a cinnamon stick or a vanilla pod.

Was it nice? I'm actually asking because I'm enjoying a cider at the moment as the weather is so good. I'm planning on having a go at my fist cider in the next week or two but a cider/ale combo sounds like it might be an interesting experiment too.

I've heard of (but not tried) "graf", which is a cross between apple cider and a beer. It can be more towards cider with a bit of light beer or the opposite.

Been meaning to try it.

If you have some apples but not enough for a full batch you could try topping up with store bought apple juice?

I've heard of (but not tried) "graf", which is a cross between apple cider and a beer. It can be more towards cider with a bit of light beer or the opposite.

Been meaning to try it.

If you have some apples but not enough for a full batch you could try topping up with store bought apple juice?
Yes you can use the juice bought in a shop. However I would point out that most of the juice bought in the shop will have E numbers and they can hinder the yeast especially the preservative ones

If the juice is 100% it shouldn't have, the ones I make wine with don't have any E numbers.

Last edited:
Was it nice? I'm actually asking because I'm enjoying a cider at the moment as the weather is so good. I'm planning on having a go at my fist cider in the next week or two but a cider/ale combo sounds like it might be an interesting experiment too.
Very nice, however you will be waiting a while on the ageing process as it when I did it it took a good 6 months to age properly.

My turbo cider was down my neck in 6 weeks...
That's fine, but I was only pointing out that what it took to age. I never did get a full %reading as the apples had fermented out before I could add it all to the beer mix. If that added to the ageing process due to the strength which was my first thought

Yes, let put apple on it!!!! I believe should be the green apple (cooking one). What phase should I add it, when the water is boiling?

Prost

Back