apple brandy

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crannman

Reaction score
hi all got a allotment apple trees looking good made cider and wine now thinking of apple brandy any of you good folk have a recipe

hi all got a allotment apple trees looking good made cider and wine now thinking of apple brandy any of you good folk have a recipe
These boys have been at it for ages and I can vouch for the quality of their stuff (the price is eye-watering, though). They'll also put you right on the legalities of distilling your own stuff.
https://www.somersetciderbrandy.com/

If you don't mind me asking, how do you make cider wine (vs normal cider)?

Had some at a local restaurant as a dessert wine last week and it was lovely, just wondering how you get it concentarted enough to make wine?

I'm not sure what cider wine is. In German, ordinary cider is apfelwein or apple wine. In Normandy we have something called pommeau which is wine strength but it's just calvados diluted with pure apple juice. In Canada they let the apples freeze on the trees and then press the juice out to make a cider of 15+ %. Some of the commercial vintage ciders, Thatchers or Westons, for example come out around 8½ %. I suppose you could add sugar to your juice to make a stronger cider or better still, honey, to make a cyser.

I read that Applejack brandy is made by freezing cider and taking off the frozen water. Done over and over it boosts the abv.

You can't make brandy without distlling which is illegal in the UK

You can distil in the U.K if you have a distillers licence, we do not allow distilling to be discussed in the forum unless the member who wants to discuss it has a licence, we have yet to see one.

I'm not sure what cider wine is. In German, ordinary cider is apfelwein or apple wine. In Normandy we have something called pommeau which is wine strength but it's just calvados diluted with pure apple juice. In Canada they let the apples freeze on the trees and then press the juice out to make a cider of 15+ %.

Found it, this is the one we had a glass of
https://secretbottleshop.co.uk/products/blenheim-superb-ice-cider-2015-37-5cl-7-abv-1
Looks like they do produce it by freezing it, not as concentrated as Applejack. In fact, at 7% it's just a (very expensive) strong cider - was nice though!

Looks like they do produce it by freezing it, not as concentrated as Applejack. In fact, at 7% it's just a (very expensive) strong cider - was nice though!

One of the problems with fruit fermentation is methanol as a by-product of pectin fermentation. How does freezing eliminate it?

One of the problems with fruit fermentation is methanol as a by-product of pectin fermentation. How does freezing eliminate it?
I think that is one of the problems with freeze concentration, the impurities get concentrated too.

Latest posts

Back