Apple iPhone users warned about 'orange dot' on screen - Here's what it means

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't have an apple phone so haven't a clue how long this info has been doing the rounds.

1600458345331.png

Apple users who have downloaded the new iOS software update on their iPhones have been warned about a mysterious 'orange dot' that appears on the top right hand corner of the screen.

We've put together what you need to know.

What is the 'orange dot' - and why does it appear on the screen?

Following the new iOS 14 software update, which was rolled out to Apple products including iPhones and iPads across the UK and around the world on Wednesday, September 16, many users have been quick to notice the strange dot appear on the screen.

The 'warning dot' that appears at the top of your iPhone is there to indicate whenever your microphone or camera is activated by an app.

In addition to the orange dot showing on screen, users will also be able to get privacy information on the App Store to help further understand the privacy practices about every app before
they downloaded it.

What have Apple said about the 'orange dot'?

In a statement about the orange dot and the iOS 14 update, Apple said: "An indicator appears at the top of your screen whenever an app is using your microphone or camera. And in Control Center, you can see if an app has used them recently."

Apple users will then be able to check the app's permissions within the Settings section, and can deny apps access to your microphone or camera - or they have the option to delete the app altogether.

"Privacy is a fundamental human right and at the core of everything we do. That's why with iOS 14, we're giving you more control over the data you share and more transparency into how it's used," Apple added.

What else has changed as a result of the iOS 14 update?

Following the roll out of the new iOS 14 software on iPhones and iPads, Apple users will now be able to continue watching videos or FaceTime call others while using another app.

Full article - Apple iPhone users warned about 'orange dot' on screen (Here's what it means)

Very interesting. I’m on apple but haven’t downloaded the newest iOS - not that I’ve got space for it.... I’m very particular about privacy (hence we won’t have anything like Alexa or a dot in the house) so this is interesting but also probably quite concerning.

Mrs Hagrid has a hauwei and had the issue where if you covered the camera it would stop working. Very dodgy in my mind.

There's a simple rule with all this, if you have a mobile phone they're tracking you, it's easy to stop this, don't carry a mobile phone, smart watch or similar.

There's a simple rule with all this, if you have a mobile phone they're tracking you, it's easy to stop this, don't carry a mobile phone, smart watch or similar.

I agree but you can limit it to a certain degree, don't install apps you don't need and uninstall ones you don't use, look at the permissions you give when installing them.

Take instagram as an example - 106,527,311 downloads.

This app has access to:

AUs-Fih7eEfuhp-4lYGGK65UvYQ2K6qaKi0dRUipSmiac-QL94IbT-XylwOgMoaYBDLuGOz1l5Yn_K6z1NM=s20-rw
Identity
  • find accounts on the device
  • read your own contact card
pHtIujPWxciAZcfYSwlrGGq14Z984rKLMgcm9RPATLiOlbrWy-tVlelEWgED7gpktgcD1tZizVeHiO5fkw=s20-rw
Photos / Media / Files
  • read the contents of your USB storage
  • modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
U-_SG8pHTsqU_IyZTGQRkVMdLaAUeq1OnKGrB06KHF1z7vkkIQK3iF0HcbfTe1RnGlh-ajnZkbphl2W3Gdk=s20-rw
Wi-Fi connection information
  • view Wi-Fi connections
xbP_oGuJ21iG29iVh0p-UIZPzi_fYj8PMYiqDd9-LvaZ_a1tRcwp0I2-arfXvgX9YtfZTTaqwcLRWPNQM_c=s20-rw
Camera
  • take pictures and videos
BAH0TYCVcT4bH2ErsHtCEbO-1Tr5O5Hjwst6AFghZQt5pI8NkfonAsmYfnvj939aqSVtbuM81B38AB0GYQ=s20-rw
Device & app history
  • retrieve running apps
daUjqbSOr2QpaqXS2HQbNzYzzqN2yWGzM_7AZxwFaWLT7_kIhX95HKi_HSpjeeQDOmFMENZxJqblbu_4qg=s20-rw
Microphone
  • record audio
aWNKQedLTpw6u6yyMjQObmuoKu67A1czWnIcvID86oAmMT02r5mNdRn6l9ZN2t2MIyH6tNy-01v7ukeQ=s20-rw
Storage
  • read the contents of your USB storage
  • modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
c5fJsmDZCeHY1tZmeGXL12sHi8herULd72A_egjaAHylmgM-4gLiw4CuDJSzNnK5q8yxAAy4RyxtkdYzcg=s20-rw
Contacts
  • find accounts on the device
  • read your contacts
l2htRLV5Mt-RZ6nroJCXy3OF_CqdntOsEetnLEjH1wC-WJWV00R5orcBWj0NMFKJVEQU6JhPYRBCKnj3_Q=s20-rw
Device ID & call information
  • read phone status and identity
4rkEm_eN4F8lAtqf1avrqAQ49_IjMjRduxI5szmftCXmKzSaLsNScjM5DSGQp2qtI5R_fqj8j7aJi_G3dg=s20-rw
  • precise location (GPS and network-based)
QDYtvjtZon4TYi4-wkvfIqszmmJL258051XdtozjpIZVH-8zVoay1oBS9vw7lzDYYaDz48AzxmOY040lNqc=s20-rw
Phone
  • read phone status and identity
  • directly call phone numbers
T0FSi5cHSE6ZmXMZAv0tidh8XAQWi7_WqbhtZ1XfNYhLJyOfudKVtiySoaBhBku4bzpRZTnddzjL1A-D=s20-rw
SMS
  • receive text messages (SMS)

Other
  • receive data from Internet
  • read frame buffer
  • change screen orientation
  • control vibration
  • full network access
  • connect and disconnect from Wi-Fi
  • pair with Bluetooth devices
  • uninstall shortcuts
  • view network connections
  • run at startup
  • read battery statistics
  • prevent device from sleeping
  • access Bluetooth settings
  • change your audio settings
  • install shortcuts
  • use accounts on the device

My thoughts are that apple are now highlighting this is happening, whereas in the past it was hidden.
A thumbs up for me for privacy, and indicating there may be a sneaky app.

Latest posts

Back