Quantcast

Apple Juice Experiment

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

MikeyDee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was in Asda at the weekend and saw a bargain that I couldn’t resist. 8 litre cartons of apple juice for just less than a fiver. So, I took them home And split them into two batches. Batch one was 4 litres of juice and some yeast. Batch two was the same only I added 500g of glucose and a cinnamon stick for a bit of flavour. Now looking forward to a taste test. The weird thing is that the one without glucose is bubbling away at about twice the rate of the sugared one. This is the opposite of what I thought would happen. Does anyone have any theories? Might the cinnamon be slowing things down? thanks in advance.

LED_ZEP

Reaction score
You tend to find that the initial stage of fermentation (when the yeast are building their colony) happens quicker in a lower S.G. If there's too much sugar it can inhibit fermentation altogether. I'm sure I've read somewhere that yeast don't like cinnamon and to add this at a later stage but in a small amount I'm sure it's fine, I've added it to TCs before without issue.

Hagrid

Reaction score
I did a similar experiment with 5 TCs years ago. I remember doing a plain one as a control and a honey one, spiced one (cinnamon and a clove) and a couple of others that won’t come to mind. The spiced one took ages! And I don’t think it ever hit the same FG as the plain one.

Harbey

Regular.
Reaction score
Same here. I have 4 litres which I spiced with cinnamon and ginger. Been going for about 4 weeks now and still not finished.

MikeyDee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi. The results were quite impressive actually. I ended up with two really nice ciders, which was far better than I expected. I’m not a cider drinker to be fair, but I have friends who are, and they really enjoyed them. The pure Apple juice one was very light. Almost like a white wine whereas the cinnamon one was very slightly spiced, which was a surprise to me as the stick was floating in the fermenter for weeks. I’ve had a couple of glasses of this and thought it a nice change from the beers I usually do. However the cider drinkers happily finished it off a a even asked for another batch to be made. Im quite chuffed that I got such drinkable results from such simple and basic steps.

feemackenzie

Reaction score
Heading to Asda after school for apple juice to make a small demijohn batch. Onlye me in the house, 5 litres is enough. How long did it ferment for?

Nidger

Reaction score
I was in Asda at the weekend and saw a bargain that I couldn’t resist. 8 litre cartons of apple juice for just less than a fiver. So, I took them home And split them into two batches. Batch one was 4 litres of juice and some yeast. Batch two was the same only I added 500g of glucose and a cinnamon stick for a bit of flavour. Now looking forward to a taste test. The weird thing is that the one without glucose is bubbling away at about twice the rate of the sugared one. This is the opposite of what I thought would happen. Does anyone have any theories? Might the cinnamon be slowing things down? thanks in advance.

How expensive is apple juice in asda ? Tesco and Lidl work out £4.40 for 8 ltrs.

MikeyDee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heading to Asda after school for apple juice to make a small demijohn batch. Onlye me in the house, 5 litres is enough. How long did it ferment for?
Just checked my notes. It took just over 3 weeks to finish fermentation and settle down. But that was in the summer and out in the shed. You might want to adjust based on temperature. I used a heating belt when doing a batch of wine recently and it took two weeks all in.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Administrator
Reaction score
Found it - (no preservative)

Storage
Keep refrigerated. Once opened, keep refrigerated and consume within 4 days. Do not exceed the Best Before date.
For Best Before: see top of carton

feemackenzie

Reaction score
Perfect guys. 4 litres in a demijohn, a shuggle of brewing sugar , a mug of strong black tea and US-05 yeast (I know z I know it's for beer.... I need to get organised!)