Apple Juice Experiment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fresh pineapple contains substances which affect fermentation adversely.
Producing off flavours

Therefore pineapple wine is normally made from the outer rinds of the fruit,Its also where the most flavour is concentrated.
Plus you get to eat all that lovely pineapple. athumb..

A typical gallon of pineapple wine should contain the rinds of AT LEAST 1 large or 2 medium pineapples.
The rest of the juice will need to come from another fruit.(apples)

All this only applies to FRESH pineapple.

As regards processed fruit or juice there should not be any problems.
There are Two main reasons why wine wont clear they are:-
(1) pectin
(2) starch
Both can be dealt with by (1) pectolase (2) amylase.

Do try using the fresh fruit its much better.

Fresh pineapple contains substances which affect fermentation adversely.
Producing off flavours

Therefore pineapple wine is normally made from the outer rinds of the fruit,Its also where the most flavour is concentrated.
Plus you get to eat all that lovely pineapple. athumb..

A typical gallon of pineapple wine should contain the rinds of AT LEAST 1 large or 2 medium pineapples.
The rest of the juice will need to come from another fruit.(apples)

All this only applies to FRESH pineapple.

As regards processed fruit or juice there should not be any problems.
There are Two main reasons why wine wont clear they are:-
(1) pectin
(2) starch
Both can be dealt with by (1) pectolase (2) amylase.

Do try using the fresh fruit its much better.

Thank you that’s very helpful, you’re such an expert! 😊 I have been looking at getting some amylase for brewing something else as well but unfortunately I cannot find it anywhere. Boo. That’s put paid to that brew!

Well since the demise of "proper" homebrew shops the range of goods has suffered somewhat.
I use a hardware store in Inverness,With a small homebrew section,They stock the basics ( Young's products)but that's about it.!!!!

Thinking about it further human saliva contains amylase,Whilst a starch haze may not look too pretty,It will give a slight sweetness once in the mouth and may be quite pleasant.

Another possibility is to use some active malt as used in brewing all grain beers you wont need much.
My Father did this for his potato peelings wine, He got the peelings from the village fish and chip shop called the resulting wine "Squashy chips."
Members on here did not believe me when i told them dad used to make wine from chips.

Well since the demise of "proper" homebrew shops the range of goods has suffered somewhat.
I use a hardware store in Inverness,With a small homebrew section,They stock the basics ( Young's products)but that's about it.!!!!

Thinking about it further human saliva contains amylase,Whilst a starch haze may not look too pretty,It will give a slight sweetness once in the mouth and may be quite pleasant.

Another possibility is to use some active malt as used in brewing all grain beers you wont need much.
My Father did this for his potato peelings wine, He got the peelings from the village fish and chip shop called the resulting wine "Squashy chips."
Members on here did not believe me when i told them dad used to make wine from chips.

Oh wow, that's very interesting! Even more so as the husband is just about to start his first all-grain brew in the next week or so. He's just been using beer kits up to now but wants to upgrade. So he'll probably have something I can utilise 😁

That is good luck you will be able to handle starch filled things in your wine.Just "mash" at the same temperatures as for all grain beer brew.
You will need to chop starchy things finer than previous to allow the amylase in the malt to work.
Another difference will be the starches wont be pre gelatinised as in an all grain brew but then you don't need the conversion to be complete in minuets you have weeks of time during the fermentation.
IE don't pre-boil.!!!!!
Generally speaking "cooked" is not good in a wine.
As always there are exceptions,Rice for instance can be cooked.
About 1tablespoon of malt per gallon will handle the average haze.
During or even after fermentation.

Thinking about it there is a whole new world of possibilities from parsnips to coconut to cereals,

Last edited:
Another thought on the subject of extraction.
I have an espresso coffee machine,I used it to extract from ground spices instead of ground coffee for my latest wine
First time i have done this.
Have to say it worked brilliant athumb..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back