Apple juice...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason42

Reaction score
Hi all. Anyone used Crawford Press cloudy apple juice to make cider? They claim to press whole apples so I’m wondering if I still need to add a bit of wine tannin or tea.

Hi all. Anyone used Crawford Press cloudy apple juice to make cider?

Well, I have recently made a Cawston Press Cloudy Apple Juice (not Crawford Press) turbo cider to 5 litres in a DJ. The apple content is as follows: Cox's Orange Pippin, Bramley, Braeburn, Gala and Jonagold varieties and not from concentrate. I brewed it using 4 x 1 litre cartons of AJ and 1 x 1 litre Tesco Cranberry Juice.

Its hasn't quite finished fermenting yet.

Well, I have recently made a Cawston Press Cloudy Apple Juice (not Crawford Press) turbo cider to 5 litres in a DJ. The apple content is as follows: Cox's Orange Pippin, Bramley, Braeburn, Gala and Jonagold varieties and not from concentrate. I brewed it using 4 x 1 litre cartons of AJ and 1 x 1 litre Tesco Cranberry Juice.

Its hasn't quite finished fermenting yet.
Yeah, Cawston Press:laugh8: I’m going to blame autocorrect for that one. I made 10l, just Apple juice - no cranberry. I did add a little tannin in the end though. Just under 1/4tsp. It’s currently bubbling like a mad man. Smells good🤞

I thought it might well be the same! wink...
I will be hopefully bottling tomorrow, as the airlock activity stopped several days ago, depending of course on the FG reading.

I've made TC with cheap cartons of apple juice before, but interesting to see this is pure apple juice. It's also a lot more expensive than a carton of whatever Tesco is flogging cheapest. Is the TC made with Cawston worth the extra ££? If so I'd give it a go.

Is the TC made with Cawston worth the extra ££? If so I'd give it a go.

I have just bottled this today. It will now sit in the warm for two weeks to carbonate, followed by a further two weeks in the garage to condition at a cool temperature.
Sorry, but I cannot answer your questions for at least a month...

Most of the apple juice in cartons i have used is too "soft" to make a proper cider,Nice white wine yes but not a crisp refreshing cider.
Even for wine i am adding tannin and malic acid.

As I understand it true cider apples are rough
Too rough to eat.
But i am no cider expert,Just enjoy a pint of it in the hot weather,Much nicer than a lager in the sweltering heat.

I have just bottled this today. It will now sit in the warm for two weeks to carbonate, followed by a further two weeks in the garage to condition at a cool temperature.
Sorry, but I cannot answer your questions for at least a month...
lol no worries. If you remember I'd be interested to hear the verdict.

I’m making a still Scrumpy style cider with it. I’ve racked it into a new fv and added some fermentation stopper. It’s out in the cold now and I’m bottling tomorrow. Smells and tastes very good. OG was 1.064 and FG 1.002 so I’m looking at abv 8.4%. Looking forward to trying it.

I’m making a still Scrumpy style cider with it. I’ve racked it into a new fv and added some fermentation stopper. It’s out in the cold now and I’m bottling tomorrow. Smells and tastes very good. OG was 1.064 and FG 1.002 so I’m looking at abv 8.4%. Looking forward to trying it.
How does it compare to TC from regular generic apple juice?

Latest posts

Back