Apple Tree Canker?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, any keen gardeners out there? My daughters apple tree has what I think is canker on the trunk, anyone else concur? I would be devastated to lose it so has anyone had any success getting rid? I plan to cut out the rotten bark and seal with some sort of heal and seal treatment.
20210218_085725.jpg
20210218_085725.jpg

It looks like canker, I have a couple of trees that have had it for many years and as long as I keep pruning it out each March they seem to survive. I would remove that side branch with the open wound and use Medo or Arbrex to paint over, but I am no expert. Good luck.

Agree. Make sure your saw is clean...
While you're at it cut out any crossing branches and any "water spouts"...long,whip like shoots.,but don't remove more than a third of total stuff that needs pruning. If you're not sure just concentrate on the canker.

Cheers, yep I've cut round and taken out all the rotting wood, cut off the branch and then done some general pruning before almost slicing off one of my fingers with the pruning knife. 😁

Back