Apple Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_S_Jerusalem

Landlord.
Reaction score
So today I bottled my Apple Wine. Frankly I’m pretty impressed with it lol.
No idea what percentage it is but it is alcohol. Still a tad young but a lovely golden colour and smells like cider (as you would expect really lol).
Bought some of those Novatwist caps the other day. They are BRILLIANT. Especially as these days everything seems to come with a screw cap. And they look good on the bottle.
So yes a happy brewday lol

Did you use apple juice cartons if so how many.

I am still using the original novatwist caps i reviewed years ago.

Ah so a guy at work gave me a kilo of cooking apples from his tree . Then I added about 500g more cooking apples and about a kilo of some eating ones, jazz I think.
When I racked it off the sediment there was a big gap so I topped it up with apple juice from a carton then. That was about a pint I think.
I was trying to copy the recipe from Bens Adventures in Winemaking.

I make apple wine from the supermarket cartons really easy and cheap to do.But the taste is like a white wine.
I wanted a cider flavour and decided ineeded some rough apples rather than eating apple juce.
however last year when i went to my local crab apple tree it was knocked over the local farmer must have backed his tractor into it.A real pity as i had my eye on it for a while.
So white wine it is then

Ack that is a damn tragedy. Have to take care around such things.

I’ve never tried it with supermarket juice, mainly because usually someone’s given me a load of apples at the time and what else do you do with them?! Don’t say crumble. For the love of god why waste perfectly decent apples on something like crumble? Lol

I’ve taken to topping up with apple juice lately because it’s a nice flavour, it’s cheap, it goes with everything, and you aren’t actually diluting your wine if you add it as it will just ferment it. As opposed to just water.

They do say a mix of different apples is best and I don’t really know what you get in shop juice but it always tastes sweet.
And there’s nothing sweet about a cooking apple lol.

Latest posts

Back