Are East Kent Goldings the same as "Goldings"?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guyb

Regular.
Reaction score
I wanted to do a brewday this weekend, and I have EKG and the recipe calls for "Goldings", I was wondering if these were the same thing?

I got them from Rob, and I notice that there is no hop on his site called simpy "Goldings", so I wonder if EKG is sometimes just known simply as Goldings sometimes?

Thanks in advance for any clarity :thumb:

i dont know if i should say this. so i am sorry if i was not
i just google golding hops and there is some places on there that sale them

dps said:
i dont know if i should say this. so i am sorry if i was not
i just google golding hops and there is some places on there that sale them

Good man, I was having one of those moments..

I did a google too, I should have done that first, I usually do :grin:

Interestingly..

"Goldings: This is a group of traditional and very popular English aroma hops grown prior to 1790. Widely cultivated also in the U.S.A. They are called East Kent Goldings if grown in East Kent, Kent Goldings if grown in mid-Kent, and Goldings if grown elsewhere in the U.K. There are many different named cultivars such as Amon's Early Bird, Cobbs, Bramling,Canterbury, Petham Rodmersham and in Worcestershire - Mathon. They tend to have a smooth, sweet flavor. Most types of Goldings will work in place of another (Whitbread Golding Variety for East Kent Goldings, e.g.). Note that Styrian Goldings are not of this family, they rather are identical to Fuggles."

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hop_varieties

That'll learn me... :grin:

Latest posts

Back