Are you doing your bit for the environment?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, if I have too much beer and crisps then my emissions definitely increase, does this counter the good being done here 😁

Nice diversion tactic by Walkers. Oooh aren't they the environmental innovators?! :)
They should sort out the massive problem of their packaging first. We eat 6 billion bags of crisps a year in the UK and most are in metallised plastic that can't be processed with your household recycling collection.

There's a half arsed Walkers partnership with a third party where you can save up your crisp bags then drive them to a collection centre 10 miles away to be properly dealt with... how many crisp bags are needed to offset the emissions of a 20 mile round trip in my car? I suppose I could go on the bus with my 5 crisp packets a week? Or get together with my neighbours to create a crisp bag comittee. Or alternatively I could fold them into a little ball and lob them in my landfill bin.

Meanwhile I have a variety of wheelie bins, 4 at last count, that I diligently fill with the correct waste, but apparently not crisp bags.
They don't need to make the bags out of that metallised material, they do so because they make more money that way.

Nice diversion tactic by Walkers. Oooh aren't they the environmental innovators?! :)
They should sort out the massive problem of their packaging first. We eat 6 billion bags of crisps a year in the UK and most are in metallised plastic that can't be processed with your household recycling collection.

There's a half arsed Walkers partnership with a third party where you can save up your crisp bags then drive them to a collection centre 10 miles away to be properly dealt with... how many crisp bags are needed to offset the emissions of a 20 mile round trip in my car? I suppose I could go on the bus with my 5 crisp packets a week? Or get together with my neighbours to create a crisp bag comittee. Or alternatively I could fold them into a little ball and lob them in my landfill bin.

Meanwhile I have a variety of wheelie bins, 4 at last count, that I diligently fill with the correct waste, but apparently not crisp bags.
They don't need to make the bags out of that metallised material, they do so because they make more money that way.
The whole story is bizarre - but it must be true because it was on the internet!

There's a charity that you can send your crisp packets to and they make sleeping bags for the homeless out of them.
https://crisppacketproject.com/
It might be worthwhile trying to work out how much waste we have prevented by making our own beer and reusing our bottles and kegs rather than buying beer in disposable containers.

Hi chopps
Meanwhile I have a variety of wheelie bins, 4 at last count
... whoahhhh there!!! FOUR!!! I've only got three!! Why are all you Sandbach toffs gettin special treatment with your extra wheelie bins??!! Do you need another one just for the Champagne bottles or sumfink?? :mad:

They don't need to make the bags out of that metallised
... apparently they do ... if you think back to when you were younger, before the bags were metallicised and nitrogen flushed, and every now and then you'd get a bag of stale soggy crisps with no flavour ... well apparently it was light and oxygen that had made the crisps like that, and you hardly ever get a bad bag of crisps nowadays :confused.:

Cheers, PhilB

Well these are some of my bins

1607373798774.png

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your bins

You south Cheshire folk are spoilt. In the north of the county we have to put our rubbish into a cardboard box which we keep in the middle of road.

Back