Aroma hops - how long to leave it

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been adjusting my recent brews and messing about with adding in my late hop additions. Instead of putting them in at "flameout" - essentially 100c - and leaving them for 15 mins, I'm doing a whirlpool once the wort has cooled to 80c. All pretty normal stuff.

Whilst this has reduced the bitterness they add, it hasn't made a huge amount of difference to the aroma.
So for the past 3 brews I've decided to add them at 80c as normal, but then leave them in overnight whilst the wort cools (I no chill)
As they are in a nice little linen mesh bag, it's easy to fish them out before dumping my yeast in.

But the question is, will leaving my 'whirlpool' hops in for close to 24 hours whilst it cools to room temp make any difference to the amount of aroma it imparts? Or is it pretty much done after 15 minutes at 80c and I'm wasting my time?

If it's aroma you're after then you'll be better served dry hopping. Lots of people will have their own ideas on steeping and whirlpooling etc, but much like you, I've found that slight variations in your approach to post-boil hops yields minimal difference in outcomes.

Oh, I dry hop as well.
So just interested in what difference it all makes.
If none, then why not just drop the whirlpool/flameout and just do the bitterness addition at 60, the dry hop at 5 days?
But it accepted wisdom we add towards the end and post boil. Why?

In addition to that: bitter hops for only 30 mins seem to leave a milder bitter. Of course you need way more hops, but meh. And to vacuum a dozen grams of hops and freeze 'm, I'd rather put them to good use right away.
Keep stock small and fresh, is my motto for 2020.

James Morton reckons to aroma hop under 80c and it does seem to have improved the aroma of my last two brews but there was also a shed load of hops in all his recipes! Did the totally tropical- best beer I’ve ever made!

Back