Aromatic malt.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm researching stout recipes and found a very interesting one on a US website that's got Belgian aromatic malt..there's a few aromatic malts on MM site....Dingeman,which is Belgian,Simpsons and Crisp...there's also melanoidin malt..which should I choose,what's the difference?

Thanks for that link, even it it wasn't especially posted for me, fascinating reading and each malt has its own link too. I wonder if it helps Clint, though. I've used Belgian Aromatic for decades in my "Grim Reaper" and it;s simply called Belgian Aromatic. I learnt about it from this document: BRUPAKS GUIDE TO GRAINS , which has also been around for decades. I suspect one of our favourite suppliers has lifted their malt descriptions verbatim from this list!

Hello all,
I'm researching stout recipes and found a very interesting one on a US website that's got Belgian aromatic malt..there's a few aromatic malts on MM site....Dingeman,which is Belgian,Simpsons and Crisp...there's also melanoidin malt..which should I choose,what's the difference?
I'd imagine the differences in these being pretty subtle. That being said, if I could get hold of Dingemans malts I probably wouldn't use anything else. If it's good enough for the Belgian Trappists...

Hi Clint

If you're buying from MM I think you're safe from this ... but for others coming to this thread, beware the confusion between Aromatic Malt (e.g. Dingemans (link)) and Weyermann's CaraAroma (link) that can happen with some retailers ... I think the page on the HBC website is the best/worst example of this (link), the heading suggests its Aromatic Malt and CaraAroma as if they are the same thing ... but the specs on the Dingemans/Simpsons/Weyermann websites suggest they're different, with Aromatic Malt being like a "Munich-plus" or a "Melanoidin-minus" and CaraAroma effectively being a dark crystal malt ... and then the text of HBC's description describes it like it's a lightly roasted malt, like Aromatic Malt is, but the Colour and Max % info at the end makes it look more like CaraAroma :?:

I can tell you from when I last ordered some of this from them, what arrived was CaraAroma, and not Aromatic Malt athumb..

Cheers, PhilB

Also to add to the confusion there is cara-aromatic malt. This is a bit more caremelly then regular aromatic. The honey malt they sell here is a good substitute for aromatic malt.

cararoma is a dark crystal like special b, it's nothing like aromatic malt. It's good but very distinct and powerful.

Back