Ascorbic Acid & Aronia Juice - OK to use in home brew?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Babs

Reaction score
I'm planning some new recipes and saw some nice "100% juice" products in Tesco today.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/278994762 was one (Apple and Raspberry Juice)

Some of these juices contain Ascorbic Acid and others contain Aronia Juice.

Can someone reassure me that these ingredients won't have a detrimental effect on my brew?

I am so into this!

Babs.

Thanks Chippy! Starting brew project number 5 today. Apple and Mango Fruit Wine. No idea how it will turn out!

In case you didn't know Ascorbic Acid is another name for vitamin C. It won't affect your brew. It's also often used in bread making as a flour improver, another process that relies heavily on yeast to succeed!

Had to Google the Aronia juice, apparently from Chokeberries, again don't think it will cause any detrimental affect on fermentation but it does say the juice can be quite bitter so whether this will effect the end product is anybodies guess. Try it and see :D

Thanks Chippy! Starting brew project number 5 today. Apple and Mango Fruit Wine. No idea how it will turn out!

I have a feeling it'll be fine ;) We have made many different versions of supermarket juice wines and the only one we never really liked and never made again was the original orange juice and white grape juice wine referred to as Wurzels Orange Wine (W.O.W)

My orange wine was ok, but I avoid orange juice in wine as I seem to get a litre of sediment. That said, I've been told I have a weird taste in food and drink...ok...I'm just weird all day!

The lava lamp effect is great the first time you see it but you soon realise with certain juices you do get a lot of sediment and when it floats its a bit of a pain to rack.

Go to 1:06 in the video below to see it -

I use kwik clear or youngs clear it and my wines always clear in 24/48 hours my comment about floating sediment was meant to show that some juices throw up a lot of sediment and some hardly any when you first start out racking can be a bit hit and miss when you have sediment at the bottom and the top of the DJ as you are going to get some going through the syphon but if you are careful when you bottle there is no reason you should end up with any in the bottles.

Back