ASDA to close in-store meat and fish counters.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I may be missing something or has the mail might got this wrong, are they stopping selling raw meat and fish only to replace it with ready cooked meat and fish meals, pies etc. :confused.:

ASDA said it will close its in-store meat and fish counters and replace them with something completely different.

The spaces left by these closing sections will be used for 'ready-to-eat' counters - and Asda has revealed it plans to sell 'food for now', including sushi, hot chicken and pies.

The new counters have been trialled in 13 stores over the last year, teaming up with brands such as Sushi Daily and Subway.

The supermarket giant says it is planning more partnerships with well known brands.

Counters will be in place in 150 stores by the end of the year.

Unions have been informed that there will be no job losses or reduction in hours for staff as a result of the changes.

In a statement Asda said: "The way in which we operate our store based back office has evolved over recent years to adapt to changing customer behaviour, such as an increase in card payments over cash.

"As a result, we are proposing some changes to increase efficiencies and simplify ways of working across administration, compliance and cash office.

"We have opened a collective consultation with those colleagues impacted and their representatives and will have conversations about any potential change with our colleagues first."

https://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/18165078.asda-close-in-store-meat-fish-counters/?ref=twtrec

Last edited:
Nah sounds like there are just doing away with fresh food counters where you can ask for things to be trimmed etc- guess they then don't need in site butchers etc. They will still sell raw food but prepacked

They may have seen the success of waitrose. The waitrose near my work had a massive rotisserie at the front f the store and they replaced it with a sushi deli which is super successful and popular

I must admit I don't use those sections of my Asda, but my kids nearly always buy from their hot food section.
I buy my meat and fish from Morrisons :laugh8:.

Maybe they will have a larger Polish and Halal section instead.
I don't think the new Subway that has opened up at the side of my Asda would like the news, or could have been a clever method of assessing demand.

They may have seen the success of waitrose. The waitrose near my work had a massive rotisserie at the front f the store and they replaced it with a sushi deli which is super successful and popular

Lol, you are so London @MyQul .

I can't see a sushi deli opening in my nearest Lidl anytime soon. :laugh8:

Lol, you are so London @MyQul .

I can't see a sushi deli opening in my nearest Lidl anytime soon. :laugh8:

I know. I'm such an urban hipster. To be fair I work in quite an affluent part of London (Surbition and it's surrounding borough), so it's not much of a surprise that the sushi bar is doing well. I'd have to spend about £50 just to fill me up

Waitrose is a poor man Booths

How long before someone asks "WTF is Booths" :laugh8:

Here is ours with out famous landmark in the distance -

099261_551bdcad.jpg

8273337.jpg

Visiting the Booths in Keswick is a holiday ritual/treat when we are on holiday in the lake district athumb.. One of the best bits of the holiday TBF :laugh8:

We used to get our meat there when it first opened and it was good but we couldn't afford to do your monthly shop there.

Visiting the Booths in Keswick is a holiday ritual/treat when we are on holiday in the lake district athumb.. One of the best bits of the holiday TBF :laugh8:

Yep and they always have trays of bottled Jennings right by the entrance - I live in Souyh London but family are farmers outside Keswick.

On a related note I was shocked last year to go in morrisons Penrith on valentines day and there were crates and crates of fresh oysters. Never shift them up here I smiled wryly. 15th Feb crates of oysters reduced to clear.

I have always said Booths and M&S are basically the same food and price wise, we use neither.

Ah, I see. I only buy food in M&S (or Waitrose) if I'm at work and that's not very often as I usually fast during work hours (apart from bottles of fizzy water and Waitrose seems the cheapest of all supermarkets at 45p for 500ml)

Booths the posh shop dream on its cheap *****, the only expesive thing at booths is the prancing horse the owner drives

I guess the one you use differs greatly from the one we used to, the town shops would kill for the footfall ours gets.

Back