Asda Toshiba Induction Hob £22 - Inductiana Jones and wok tested - BARGAIN!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drunkula

Landlord.
Reaction score
Asda Induction Hob.jpg

Toshiba 2000 watt portable induction hob for £22. I've just tested it for use as an Inductiana Jones

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...e-genius-of-tight-fistedness-personified.915/
And even in that fermenter which has a stepped bottom which means the metal lid I use is moved away from the unit by about a centimetre then the inductive coupling is absolutely bang on. Some induction plates are really fussy and as soon as you're just a few millimetrons away they stop heating - your new full batch boiler could be £22 plus a saucepan lid away. Say no to fannying about electroficuting yourself with kettle elements and ballsing up of cutting of holes.

I tested it with my standard non-flat-bottomed huge wok, too and it worked a treat. Since I started using induction to cook with the wok the taste has completely changed and you get that amazing charred wok-hei taste on the chow mein.

Now here's the biggie - does it pulse at lower wattages? Yes it does, but in a much, much better way than my Buffalo induction hob. The Buffalo starts pulsing the power on and off at anything under 1500 watts. At 1500 even with 25 litres the boil is fierce. If you knock it down to 1300 the time between heating cycles is far too long and it actually stops boiling completely after a few minutes. This unit starts pulsing at 800 watts and the on off is small enough that it keeps a boil. Even the 600 is good.

Ok - so you might not need this for brewing but if you need to do any crazy hot steamy/stinky/smokey cooking outside or in the shed this is a bargain. Uber bargain for me because I got £100 free from Asda because of their messed up "Spin to Win" thing.

Last edited:
Hey Drunkula, I also have this induction hob and I was wondering if you could help me with some instructions (I threw away the user manual 🤦‍♀️) it’s just flashing L and nothing else, if you could help it would be marvellous. Have a good’un and keep brewing!

Latest posts

Back