Ashamed of labour!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He won't be the next labour PM, he's as unelectable as corbyn, he's not a leader. How many opportunities does he need to floor the tories ?......... 'this man simply must go' Yaaawwwn

Get a LEADER in ! FGS
Labor are unelectable as a whole. I've always seen myself as a center left person and when I moved to the England (12 years ago) and looked at who I should vote for there was no way I could vote for them.
Maybe everyone has shifted way to the left because the Tories definitely aren't right wing.

Last edited:
I had the same feelings of doubt …

… until SWMBO told me that The Sun (*) had an article about him sacking his Deputy’s (Angela Raynor) boyfriend!

I knew he had sacked a junior minister (Sam Tarry) but I didn’t realise that he was Ms Raynor’s boyfriend. I was conflicted because:
  1. My admiration for Mr Starmer soared because apparently:
    • He had a policy.
    • Had informed Ministers about it.
    • Sacked Mr Tarry for going against the policy; knowing that Tarry was Ms Raynor’s squeeze!
    • Now, The Sun was writing about it as if Mr Starmer was in the wrong!
  2. I wondered why SWMBO had bought a Sun Newspaper? (*)
My admiration for Mr Starmer soared because:
  • He had a Policy that I agreed with and showed that he could be ruthless if its application was challenged.
  • The Sun (like all Right Wing Media) was again attempting to blacken his name.
(*) At the risk of disrupting family life, I asked SWMBO how she managed to read The Sun; and discovered that it was the only newspaper provided for free at the café she had visited for lunch! :D
:hat:
Well, yes, yes and yes. All very admirable, but the bar isn't set very high is it!
Striking is the last recource of the worker against an oppressive employer. Nobody wants to go on strike. You lose a day's pay for every day on strike and many can ill afford to do so. So why is Labour called Labour if it doesn't support the interests of the common working man ans woman. Where does Starmer stand on this? His position is ambiguous at the very least. He doesn't look like Labour to me. You don't need to be "left of Stalin" to show a bit of solidarity with these strikers. Or perhaps the P&O debacle, which, at holiday time, we've all forgotten about, is OK after all.

If the unions over there are as corrupt as they are here then I respect Starmer. The last misappropriation of union funds by union officials was a year or so ago. A whistle blower raised the alarm about misappropriation of union funds by one official can't remember the amount, the official was secretary of the Health Services Union and a Labor politician. The HSU are among the lowest paid workers in Australia. The court case the best comedy writers couldn't make up. 'Mr Thomson, you used a union credit card to visit brothels! No! But it was your card which paid for the services received at the brothel! Someone broke into my room and stole my card! But Mr Thomson you still have that same card! They broke back in and returned it! Mr Thomson, how many times was your card stolen and returned! 17 times!

The whistle blower was Kathy Jackson who also ended up in court for misappropriation of union funds, more than Thomson who she blew the whistle on!
This is just one union, there are far more cases with other unions, also Fair Work Australia is just another rort set up by a labor government as jobs for the ex union officials.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_Services_Union_expenses_affair

Labor are unelectable as a whole. I've always seen myself as a center left person and when I moved to the England (12 years ago) and looked at who I should vote for there was no way I could vote for them.
Maybe everyone has shifted way to the left because the Tories definitely aren't right wing.
If that's what you think then you must have come to England from some extreme right wing state.

Who are Labor I agree some Australian party won’t be elected here, but Labour will. I don’t know where you’re from but if you think the current bunch of Tories aren’t right wing then it’s either the USA or North Korea.

If the unions over there are as corrupt as they are here then I respect Starmer. The last misappropriation of union funds by union officials was a year or so ago. A whistle blower raised the alarm about misappropriation of union funds by one official can't remember the amount, the official was secretary of the Health Services Union and a Labor politician. The HSU are among the lowest paid workers in Australia. The court case the best comedy writers couldn't make up. 'Mr Thomson, you used a union credit card to visit brothels! No! But it was your card which paid for the services received at the brothel! Someone broke into my room and stole my card! But Mr Thomson you still have that same card! They broke back in and returned it! Mr Thomson, how many times was your card stolen and returned! 17 times!

The whistle blower was Kathy Jackson who also ended up in court for misappropriation of union funds, more than Thomson who she blew the whistle on!
This is just one union, there are far more cases with other unions, also Fair Work Australia is just another rort set up by a labor government as jobs for the ex union officials.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_Services_Union_expenses_affair
An excellent word is "rort". We should adopt it.

That's an amazing story @foxy . An absolute scandal. I don't think ours are quite that bad.
I'm not quite sure where I'd put your Labor in the political spectrum, but here, the Labour Party is for the traditional "working class" and was hitherto funded by the trades unions. The trouble is that since Thatcher, we're all "middle class" which gives Labour something of an existential crisis.
Labour isn't working Labour.

I found that last statement bewildering also. The Conservatives have taken a very clear shift to the right.

True, they have, but their Opportunistic populism has also seem them pick a few left policies and COVID neccecated a big state solution which gives The tory hard right sleepless nights!

back to Keir, the only reason we got lumbered with Boris is because the alternative was corby and momentum. Keir isn’t a tory he is a left of centre moderate trying to make labour electable.

I'd be more ashamed of Johnson ,Sunak and Truss than Starmer whether he's boring or not.

Well, yes, yes and yes. All very admirable, but the bar isn't set very high is it!
Striking is the last recource of the worker against an oppressive employer. Nobody wants to go on strike. You lose a day's pay for every day on strike and many can ill afford to do so. So why is Labour called Labour if it doesn't support the interests of the common working man ans woman. Where does Starmer stand on this? His position is ambiguous at the very least. He doesn't look like Labour to me. You don't need to be "left of Stalin" to show a bit of solidarity with these strikers. Or perhaps the P&O debacle, which, at holiday time, we've all forgotten about, is OK after all.

P&O, we'll not go is a catchphrase in our house. A shame a we were going to go on one of their routes, not after the way they treated their staff. Yet, the other shipping companies, Stena & dfds use 'cheaper' to employ staff it's the pig's ear way P&O went about it that leaves a bad taste in the mouth. As we don't have many years of actively driving abroad we may never travel P&O unless they undo the harm they caused to their original employees.

P&O, we'll not go is a catchphrase in our house. A shame a we were going to go on one of their routes, not after the way they treated their staff. Yet, the other shipping companies, Stena & dfds use 'cheaper' to employ staff it's the pig's ear way P&O went about it that leaves a bad taste in the mouth. As we don't have many years of actively driving abroad we may never travel P&O unless they undo the harm they caused to their original employees.
Glad to hear it. At least there are a few of us left. Brittany Ferries sail to France and Spain and I think they treat their staff OK. Nearest crossing to you departs Plymouth. Unfortunately it's not one of the budget crossings.

The sacking of Sam Tarry was mutually beneficial. There’s an ongoing re selection battle going on in Ilford and getting sacked from a Starmer front bench will help his cause, especially for the the circumstances.
Starmer on the other hand needs to be seen to be leading a government in waiting instead of a bunch of activists, which is an electoral liability. Whether there was any coordination, I doubt it due to the ham fisted way Starmer’s comms we’re handled on it, but suits them both nonetheless.

What is wrong with fairness, and decency for all.??

If Starmer can deliver is another question altogether
Aping Boris or Liz is not going to do that though,

Latest posts

Back