Astra 1.6i

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all
My 02 focus tdci,62k genuine miles,had it from virtually new,full service etc,is in the doctors next week. Running a bit rough sounds like a pulley bearing or a belg needs tensioning,maybe..plus I need pads and discs all round...if it's these simple things I'll plod on and get done.
If it's money I'll get shut...
Running a diesel for 4k miles a year of so is no good so back to petrol..
Looking round I can pick up a 15 plate Astra estate 1.6i with around 30k miles for 7 and a half k. ...anyone run one? Any good?

Cheers

Clint

Last edited by a moderator:
They're as good as most. Prefer Ford's as a driving car. You're right to ditch derv at that mileage.

Considered something like a Dacia Duster - everyone will laugh, but lots of car for not much cash? Could deffo see you in a Nissan Juke. Loads in your price range.

Do Ford put the 1.0 turbo petrol from the fiesta in a focus. That’s an awesome engine (for being so small), and you get the Ford driving dynamics too

Edit yes they do, you can get a 1.0 ecoboost focus, might be worth considering?

I fancy the new model fiesta 1.0 petrol next a mate at work has one and says it's fast and economical and no negatives so far.

I wonder why they bother adding "i" to model names these days. Do any cars still have carburettors?

I wonder why they bother adding "i" to model names these days. Do any cars still have carburettors?
That is very much a Vauxhall thing. I remember Vectra's having ABS badges on the back. They still do it now by putting Turbo badges on their cars for no real reason, even though half the cars on the road probably have turbo's now.

Do Ford put the 1.0 turbo petrol from the fiesta in a focus. That’s an awesome engine (for being so small), and you get the Ford driving dynamics too

Edit yes they do, you can get a 1.0 ecoboost focus, might be worth considering?

It's incredible. Revs like a bike.

I just bought a Nissan Leaf, so cheap to run and great acceleration.
I'll wait for incoming from Gunge :hat:

Happy to oblige... thank God I'll be dead before leccy cars are mainstream. Astra 1.6 - mine was great until the head gasket popped at around 70K. My Picasso diesel now has 136K and is solid - doing about 4 miles a day for the last couple of years. Ya don't need to do long runs in 'em, unless that's got summat to do with emissions / eco / global warming crapola, of which I have zero care or concern. Nitrogen dioxide smells great at any time of day.

Everyone I know who have had an new Astra has regretted it (Engine woes, gearbox problems, ***** suspension). Depends what you want out of a car, Petrol is the way forward, certainly at that kind of mileage. I currently have a 06 saab 9-3 estate 1.8i (the Vauxhall one) absolutely solid as a rock, the older 1.8 petrol Vauxhall engines are bullet proof. Just bought the missus a Peugeot 3008 1.6 petrol, not the fastest car in the world, but as a base model with no turbos very little to go wrong. I usually buy base models as its less to go wrong and you hardly use most of it (apart from cruise control for sodding average speed areas).
Skoda Octavia/Superb, Kia Cee'd, Volvo V70 (my dad drives nothing but these things), ford mondeo/focus

Skoda, huh? My brother had an Estelle, last seen on fire in centre of town. Mind you, this was the early 80s when Skoda jokes were as common as Jeremy Corbyn ones are now. We can laugh but as they say, many a true word is spoken in jest.

I had an X plate 1.8 Astra, which was great, went like the proverbial off a shovel. Then after several years with diesels, I tried petrol again with a 57 plate 1.6 Astra, but never enjoyed it and went back to diesel after two years. It wasn't just down to the economics, I found that diesel cars were quieter and easier to drive smoothly. Over the last few years through work, I have driven a number of different cars and would recommend Seat Leon, Skoda Octavia or VW Golf over Astra or Focus.

Skoda, huh? My brother had an Estelle, last seen on fire in centre of town. Mind you, this was the early 80s when Skoda jokes were as common as Jeremy Corbyn ones are now. We can laugh but as they say, many a true word is spoken in jest.

I had an estelle gl130 and was pulled on the m42 for doing 93 seeing as the needle was at 109 I fessed up to the lower figure. The article in the sun 'skod missile' paid for the fine many times over!

I had a J reg Astra 1.4 CD which was fine, just before I briefly had a £50 K reg Skoda Favourite Estate which felt like a boat, the heating didn't work so it overheated in summer and was freezing in winter and one day just didn't start. I now have a Skoda Fabia VRS 1.9 Diesel which I like but just cost £271 to get through the MOT and they fitted a bad part (new suspention bush or something) so had to go back after it started swaying on the motorway.

Skoda Octavia or VW Golf over Astra or Focus.
Second that. I've had various German rentals over recent years and the new Skoda Octavias are seriously good. I mean Mercedes good in terms of engine, electronics, fit and finish.

Raises a, possibly, interesting slant on the original query. Why pay £7.5k?

Over the past 3-4 years I've spent £1800 on two cars - Honda CR-V's. Boring and reliable. The first was a proper old dog for £500 off the bay. Lasted 3 years and did everything I needed from it, before rot set in. The latest is a £1200 130k 2004 model - much tidier.

I have loads of mates who have gone for the PCP type deals on new cars.

It's all good*....I just wondered what guides people in their purchases.

* no it isn't - all cars are massive money pits one way or another.

Latest posts

Back