Atomic Lemon 19/9/08

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llannige

Landlord.
Reaction score
700g Table Sugar
70g T**co Sweetener
250ml Jif Lemon juice
250ml jif Lime juice
2 fresh lemons
2 fresh limes
Youngs Cider Yeast
1 gall. demi-john

Bottled after 26 days 9.12%

Drank this over Xmas (Crystal Clear)
Served as a long drink topped up with a "little" fresh Orange juice.Also tried it with grenadine and Orange,similar to Tequila Sunrise.Although could be drank straight.

Was very pleased with this 1st time effort and will def brew again.
Come to think of it I will do it in the next few weeks. :D

nice one, looks like fun!
did you follow a recipe or just get inspired and make it up?

great name for it too!

Hi percival
I spent quite a bit of time trawling the inter web,the result is a combination of various ideas I found,so its not completely original.
I must admit it was an experiment that turned out well. :party:

An experiment that turns out well is a great result, grats!

It's when experimenting that folks are probably most alert imo, so we check all sorts of stuff (and the www is a great resource for that eh!) which can only help to achieve a good result.

Brewed this again today with just one forced change,I thought I had some Young's Cider yeast but as I did not,I had to use some English Ale yeast.I hope this does not change the end result too much :pray:
Could of used bread yeast(which I had) I suppose,but thought the Ale yeast would be best.

The Brix reading was 18.2 which = 1.072.
I must be doing something right as this was exactly the same as last time. :party:

Will post updates later.

Brewed this one again yesterday.

Another gallon @1.077 this time.

Next one I think will be a bigger batch as I can't get enough of it. ;)

Its a refreshing long citric drink.It must speak for itself that I've made it 3 times now.
Even my 88 year old Mother is looking forward to the next batch. :thumb:

Racked this morning,down to 1.026.Previous brews finished @ 1.002 so still a bit to go yet.Tasting good though. :thumb:

Hope to bottle in a couple of weeks.

forgot about this one till you posted, going to get done this week now, whats the gravity of the one your doing at the moment then?

P.s, any chance you can put a method up, like what do i do with the fresh lemons and limes?
Thank you! :thumb:

O.K. Here's the plot.Simple one really.

Boil 2L water in a pot and dissolve sugar and sweetners.
Add a crushed cam. tablet and stir in juices.
Allow it to cool and then pour into clean D.J.
Cut (scrubbed) lemon and limes into 4 pieces and stuff into D.J.
Top up with cold water and add cider yeast.
After 15-20 mins give it a good shake.
Insert air lock and ferment at 20C.For at least 20 days.

After 2 days give it a good shake.
Day 20. rack to clean D.J.
1-2 more weeks(should be clear by then) bottle with 1/2tsp primer to each bottle.

Both my previous batches had an S.G. of 1.072 and F.G.of 1.002 making it 9.12%. :D

Any questions let me know.

going to get ingredients on thursday mate, so will be made friday morning...am still curious about this one, but time will tell, some people tell me it wil be very sour, but wiht the sugar and sweetener, it should be ok i think....will let you know how i get on with this one!!
:thumb:

rigth got all ingredient minus the cider yeast, am going to make a 4 gallon batch!!, by the way..what bottles do you put this into?, normal wine bottles corked or a beer bottle???
Thanks again!

Hi falafael,

I use beer bottles and crown cap them.

I see you are going for a big one,like your style ;)

Hope it goes well. :thumb:

The one I've got on the go at the moment was going well after 24 hrs.
It sounds as if it's on it's way so I would'nt worry about it,as I've only
done beers and have nothing else to compare it to.
After 48 hrs give it a good shake and on day 3 you should have a bubble every second.

Hope this helps.

hi, the bubbling has picked up now, once its finished, can i expect a clear drink?, or will it be cloudy?, also, when you bottle, do you prime the bottle??
Thanks again, still waiting for lime juice coming back into asda for the other 3 gallons!! :)

Latest posts

Back