Atto (10 Litre) Sized brewery

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah.. i especially like the idea that to get "set up" to do a brew, you just pick up the whole thing, put it where you want it, connect the water in hose, the water out hose and and plug the system into the wall socket, and off you go! :D

Be even more fab if you could run it via solar. Then you could just use it for sunny days when... Ah, there's the prob. Your in uk and not many sunny days. :lol:

Looks very cool though BS :thumb:

I like the blue taps. :cool:

i've been thinking it out alot but i haven't had time to finalise the 3D design to figure out how it will work and what i need to price it up yet... but i will be soon as payday is fast approaching :party:

i was looking into small pumps and found that liquid cooling pumps for pc's might do the trick nicely! they're small and capable of up to 75'c.. i'm sure a couple of degrees higher for strike temp (mind you would i need such a high strike temp at these volumes?) for a very short period of time wont do them any harm.

i'm really looking forward to this project :thumb:

have any of you guys got any suggestions on sheet steel thickness?

i'm thinking for the base unit. I want it to be thin enough that it's easily drilled and hole sawed, light enough so the whole unit can be carried, but strong enough to be rigid and not dent easily.

i've no idea what thickness the steel is on my nordic stockpot, but i think that grade is too thin... whatever it is lol, so i'd want something thicker than that.

I've no idea about stainless steel so any suggestions appreciated :thumb:

BrewStew said:
have any of you guys got any suggestions on sheet steel thickness?

i'm thinking for the base unit. I want it to be thin enough that it's easily drilled and hole sawed, light enough so the whole unit can be carried, but strong enough to be rigid and not dent easily.

i've no idea what thickness the steel is on my nordic stockpot, but i think that grade is too thin... whatever it is lol, so i'd want something thicker than that.

I've no idea about stainless steel so any suggestions appreciated :thumb:

2mm would be thick enough.

BrewStew said:
cool!

how much would 1 square meter of it weigh?

Thinking about it, 1.5mm would do you. Damn sight cheaper as well.

That would weigh about 11kg. http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/gauge-sheet-d_915.html

EDIT: You could also just have the thinner stuff over a wooden frame to give it rigidity. That would make it easier to work into the right shape too. Perhaps 0.5mm for that.

hmm 11kg plus the pots, gubbins and everything, that's easily going to go over 15kg... that's quite heavy :(

i'm designing the base from two sheets of metal, each sheet a U shape in cross section to try and achieve some rigidity and stop it bowing when it's picked up, i'd rather not have to add struts as this will take up valuable space for piping and electricals.

do you think going thinner, say 1mm will still be strong enough to survive dings, dents, bowing and bending?

BrewStew said:
hmm 11kg plus the pots, gubbins and everything, that's easily going to go over 15kg... that's quite heavy :(

Wimp! I bet you buy your malt in 1kg bags as well ;)

Seriously, that's not that heavy.

i'm designing the base from two sheets of metal, each sheet a U shape in cross section to try and achieve some rigidity and stop it bowing when it's picked up, i'd rather not have to add struts as this will take up valuable space for piping and electricals.

do you think going thinner, say 1mm will still be strong enough to survive dings, dents, bowing and bending?

Definately 1m^2?... should be fine for dings and dents but I'd be concerned about bowing towards the middle with that thickness. If you went to a rectangular shape it would probably be better. You could always use SS bolts to brace the two sheets apart though in places.

i've got a slipped disc mate ;)

and yes, that's the plan... check out my cgi images earlier in this thread, it's rectangular... about 30cm deep and about 100cm long, 10cm tall.

the bottom piece bends up at the front and back, while the top piece bends down at the sides... the top piece is slightly deeper than the bottom, so the bottom piece butts up against, and also so drips from the pots just fall onto the table instead of on electrical switches ;)

SS bolts are an option and have been considered, and actually i think may be essential :thumb:

so is 1mm viable?

Latest posts

Back