Atto (10 Litre) Sized brewery

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lol:

seriously, any ideas? cos i'm about to whip out my card and go on a spending spree on ebay if it'll work :D

hah! i just did a few calculations of time it takes to raise temperatures on this proposed system that's flying around my head, and worked out that the overall brewtime would be about 3.5 hours with a 90 min mash and 60 min boil, just because the heating and cooling times will be greatly reduced. i could get a whole brewday done in an evening after work :thumb:

10L? I spill more than that of an evening. :lol:

I don't want a smaller brewery i want a bigger brewery. 200L would be about right i reckon.

But a 'macro' brewery would be fun to just play about with. Only trouble i can see is that when working with small amounts the adding a tiny bit of this and that will make a huge difference. 1g too much hops will make a lot bigger difference in 10L that it would in 25L for instance. So for trialing beers it wouldn't really give you accurate results. IMO

it's only just slightly less than half your standard 5 gal homebrew size.

but yes at this size, 1 gram of 6%AA hops equals about 1.5 IBU's so i would have to be very careful with my weights in both grain and hops. but i dont see why this couldn't be recreated on my two bigger breweries... granted there may be a very slight change... but the pallet can't taste the difference if it's within 5 IBU's when it comes to bitterness.

I'm mostly doing it because i want to be able to mess around more with ingredients and flavours, without spending too much ( i worked it out to be £3.83 for my most expensive recipe on this system), and also i wont waste much if i make a cock up and produce something distasteful. i also will be playing with mash rests and and temperatures, then comparing how different mash rests affect the flavour... my only other brewery that's scheduled for a herms system is the kilderkin... and i dont fancy spending £50 on ingredients and having to pour 85 litres down the drain if i feck it up :?

I've been tinkering in blender because i can't figure out the piping in sketch form... just thought i'd share what i've done so far (ie, it's not finished) ;)

ProgressRender.jpg

all the pumps and electronics will be in the base, and the pots secured in place by the tank connectors and fittings which are un doable for detaching and cleaning. i'll post more images as and when i come up with them :D

this image took 3 mins 20 secs to render on our new super server at work... it would've took my dual athlon 64 at home 4 hours to do this :shock:

BillyB said:
Not too sure about the colour of those ball valve handles....! :lol:

prolly cos their washing machine valve jobbies :lol: . i can get them for 60p each as opposed to £6 for a ball valve. this has got to be done cheap to be worth while... so washing machine type valves will be used ;)

A T said:
A hover brewery Now that is something you don't see every day
Very tidy looking BS

:lol: thanks :)

oh i see why u said that now... no im not selling them... i need it to be cheap cos of the small volumes it'll do... too expensive and the cost per pint will take too long to depreciate to be worth it ;)

I'm just thinking that it looks nice and compact and would be good for trialling stuff like you say :thumb: I like the idea of a 3.5 hour brew day!

Back