August 2021 - British Pale Ales, Bitters and Milds

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all

This is my first time judging so I'm really looking forward to trying everyone's beers.

I'm planning on judging on the weekend of 3rd -5th September and sharing the responsibility with @dan125.

If your new to the competitions there is a thread with the new competition rules.

PM me for my address if your planning to enter 🍺

Hi all

This is my first time judging so I'm really looking forward to trying everyone's beers.

I'm planning on judging on the weekend of 3rd -5th September and sharing the responsibility with @dan125.

If your new to the competitions there is a thread with the new competition rules.

PM me for my address if your planning to enter 🍺

I wonder if the brew off beers will qualify for entry? 🤔

Is a blonde ale hopped with Simcoe any good for this comp?
I think that one could be pushing the limits😂 like a British golden ale hopped with Citra.. what does everyone think.. my thinking is Williamette could be any number of euro hops..Simcoe is a bit too close to current big hitter in the US beers

I think that one could be pushing the limits😂 like a British golden ale hopped with Citra.. what does everyone think.. my thinking is Williamette could be any number of euro hops..Simcoe is a bit too close to current big hitter in the US beers

Yes that’s fair enough. I thought I’d ask as I’ve got 4 bottles of it in the garage and thought I could send one for feedback.

The likes of Hobgoblin Gold are hopped with Citra and Nelson Sauvin. I would say as long as it’s an English style ale the hops used should be irrelevant.

I have what was meant to be a Deuchars clone but has turned out a fair bit darker than planned that should be ready in time for this comp.

Yes that’s fair enough. I thought I’d ask as I’ve got 4 bottles of it in the garage and thought I could send one for feedback.
Cheers @samale , good shout.
I was just thinking from a different angle. My local brewery uses hops from different countries in UK beer styles.
So I'm happy to give feedback on any beers sent and whatever hops are in it if it tastes like a British pale, bitter or mild then it's going to have a chance of winning. If it tastes like American style beer then it will get Honest feedback and a suggestion to enter it on the American month.

The likes of Hobgoblin Gold are hopped with Citra and Nelson Sauvin. I would say as long as it’s an English style ale the hops used should be irrelevant.

I have what was meant to be a Deuchars clone but has turned out a fair bit darker than planned that should be ready in time for this comp.
I am not 100% on the rules. Would it come down to yeast choice

Cheers @samale , good shout.
I was just thinking from a different angle. My local brewery uses hops from different countries in UK beer styles.
So I'm happy to give feedback on any beers sent and whatever hops are in it if it tastes like a British pale, bitter or mild then it's going to have a chance of winning. If it tastes like American style beer then it will get Honest feedback and a suggestion to enter it on the American month.

If mine turns out **** can I have some dishonest feedback please?

Back